Author Topic: Whats the best choke tube for fox?  (Read 5330 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Whats the best choke tube for fox?
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:48:06 PM »
     I usually don't carry a shot gun with me, but after missing numerous opportunities last year where I could have closed the deal  if I only would have had a shot gun, I've deceided to start carrying the 12 ga.  Any advice from shot gun users as to what is the best choke tube to use???  Full, modified, improved cylinder???
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Whats the best choke tube for fox?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
I use a Carlson dead coyote choke tube in my 12 ga.  Great pattern for coyotes to 60+ yds,  but not sure about it for fox or the type of load.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:26:32 AM »
Depends on the shell you are shooting.  I like modified for 4buck and dead coyote.  I like full for lead BBs and lead #2 shot. 

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
I'll second Scott. You'll want to pattern your gun based on what loads you shoot.  It's a pain in the butt, but will pay off in the field.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
I'm using #4 buck shot....winchesters
Jake
York, PA

Offline YoteSki

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
What's everybody's thoughts on 12g 3.5 in turkey mags?
Keith
Crawford county
Top Of the Food Chain
District 5

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
I've heard of fox hunters using turkey loads before...I've never tried them.
Jake
York, PA

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
I use Full Choke for red fox and modified for gray fox... figure.. Grays are going to come right to the Gray Fox Pup in most cases.. Posting by the speaker with a modified choke tube in the shotgun it a good bet for grays... reds now your shots could be a bit farther. I usually hunt with the Deadcoyote Choke tube in and use that with #4 buck and dead coyote ammo..

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:54:43 AM »
I used to carry one or the other, sometime rifle, sometimes shotgun. It seemed more times than none I had the wrong weapon. Last year I started carrying both. Yea, its a pain but the shotgun has accounted for half my kills this year. I bought a "dead coyote choke" IMO a waste of money with #4 buck. I got better patterns with my stock full choke invector on my browning. Needless to say I'll always take my rifle, but the shotgun will always be in my other hand.
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »
Carrying a shotgun when rifling?  I could have had quite a few coyotes if I did this...However you got to get the right shotgun...The Savage  24 12/223 nope that's not the one to use.. IMO anyway... I  just don't like the feel of this particular Savage.. However maybe one of the Woodstock ones feel better.. The heavy semi' on your back while rifling.. IMO no to that too... What you want is a cheap single shot break open shotgun with a sling in 12 gauge.. I have one in  10 gauge. Something that you can slide off your back and shoot fast. Hopefully you will have your rifle in a tripod rest too so your not fumbling from rifle to shotgun... The Encore Turkey Gun would be a nice one to carry on your back.. it's light and it has a sling... Most times at night all you get is one shot anyway..there is a negative to a single shot hammer shotgun..With gloves on it could go off by accident...Maybe a short Stoeger Stagecoach S by S 12 with choke tubes in a 26 inch barrel..Need a sling on it and you don't have to worry about pulling a hammer back...that or maybe the Stoeger Condor?????O/U!!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:35:53 PM by uncle buck »