Author Topic: Thoughts on the Savage axis .243..?  (Read 12261 times)

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Thoughts on the Savage axis .243..?
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
I'm thinking about getting another Savage axis rifle in .243...I want to shoot deer and yotes with it and i'll be going up the mountains where,i can shoot it....centerfires are not allowed in Mont county&Bucks..So what's your thought on the rifle itself and maybe recommend some loads for coyotes..? Thankyou Pred53
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Thoughts on the Savage axis .243..?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
     I don't consider myself an expert, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth.....   I own numerous Savage rifles. - .22 's,  22-250,  30-06, 17 Hornet, etc !  Every single one has never left me down with tack driving accuracy.  Personally, I love the Savage.

The 243 is a great versitle round for varmits clear up to deer.  If my memory serves me correctly, that calibre was designed to shoot a 100 gr bullet to obtain the best all around preformance.  I personally like the Hornandy ammo.

Well,  thats my opinion.  I'm sure there are those out there who will agree and  those who will disagree.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Predator53
That is a good gun and cal. The 243 can go from 4000 ft 55gr to 2800 ft 100gr bullets. But most bullets will shoot 1 1/2 groups  or better with a savage. Find the right load and you can stay under 1 inch or better all day.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
I'm a big 243 fan.  Have a couple of them and they both shot great.  My old Winchester loves the light bullets.  65gr V-max are my favorite for groundhog hunting.

I picked up a 243 WSSM this winter, can't wait til the weather breaks  8)

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »

I picked up a 243 WSSM this winter, can't wait til the weather breaks  8)

TJ
I've been shoot'n this for years and love it. One draw back is if you use the coated ones (lubalox) they tend to get a buildup of the coating and gets burnt from the powder. It takes some real effort in the cleaning to get it out. But once you do........dead nutz  !!  ;)
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline Deerhunter#1

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »
great gun for the money and i cant find to many of my handloads that it wont shoot well. get one.

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »
Thanks fellers....I'm going to a gun show..looking for a .243....if I don t see something..I like...I'm going tor the axis in. 243....

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »
The Savage axis is built on the time tested Savage 10/110 platform but does not have the accu-trigger hence the very moderate price compared to the 110 w/accu-trigger, but for $109.00 you can put a Timney trigger that is fully adjustable from 1.5-4 lbs. https://www.timneytriggers.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=85 . Just another option... Rick
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:56:55 PM »
Well...I could nt wait another week for a 243....with all what's going with our ammo and gun control...I went out and bought the axis.....I mounted and leveled the scope and also picked up somemore ammo....I'm likening this new coyote rifle...and I'm excited to get it sighted in and chasing coyotes in 2 weeks up the mountains....

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
I haven't shot a coyote with a .243 but I think a cup and core deer bullet that is not an exploding bullet might be the best option for pelts.  I have read some have been able to use the 55 grain bullets and not get exits.  Some say they have. 

If you are intereted in ammo let me know.  I loaded up a few hundred rounds of .243 Win. with the 95 grain Berger VLD (very accurate long range round).  I have another .243 on the way and I'm going to shoot a different bullet.

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 09:33:59 PM »
Seeking...I will get ammo from you....I ended up getting some 58gr vmax for coyotes....and I did a trigger mod to the axis...I measured the pull and it was almost7.5 lbs....I did the mod and stopped at 4.5 lbs and it was pretty smooth and crisp and excited to see what it will do 200 yards plus...I also got some 100 gr Super X for deer in the fall....so im excited to see what this tack driver will do and the coyotes don t know what their in for....my buddy has them all over his property...so we ll see if any showup whiles I'm hunting. there...

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
Hey Predator...sounds great on the trigger job.  I like mine at 2 pounds max. actually lower but for safety I stick to two pounds.

Funny thing is I do have a bunch of 58g grain vmax.  I thought I would see how good I could get the larger vmax to fly using all kinds of different powder combinations, COL, etc.  With a 1:9 25 twist the heavier vmax should have shot much better.  Strangely, after the Bergers, the 58 grain vmax shot the best in my Savage.

I have a new Model 10 in Max 1 supposedly en route from Massachusetts.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:14:07 AM »
Yippee...the .243 arrived yesterday.  Gunsmith is doing a trigger job and mounting a Burris C4 on top!

:)

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »
That's sweet brother....had my 243 up the mountains last week and it was shooting excellent at 300 yards.....we went and did a few sets....but there was nothing..but bears in the area...I ve been doing some reloading and its alot of fun when you find all the components.....

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
Great to hear you are out in the mountains enjoying the .243.  I've been doing alot of reloading and settled on the Sierra 70 grain Match King for Coyotes with Varget and CCI 200 primers.  Shooting very good but took some tinkering to find the perfect combination.  Working on the deer bullet now but no luck yet.

I was at a Dick's yesterday and the guy was telling me about a Savage exclusive gun for Dick's.  He pulled it out of the back to show me.  It was nice...had a varmint type barrell and accutrigger and accustock.  Price was around $500.  If it wasn't for the stock it would have reminded me alot of the Model 12 guns.  Considered getting one in a 7mm but funds are tight and it didn't have a muzzle break.  Lately the 6mm and 7mm calibers are all that seem to impress me.  The .243 is at the top of my list...what a great caliber.