Author Topic: weatherby vanguard .223/5.56 nato  (Read 3271 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
weatherby vanguard .223/5.56 nato
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:08:26 PM »
anybody know anything about these? it was my understanding you can't shoot 5.56 in a regular rifle because of high pressure but this is how its listed on weatherby site...

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: weatherby vanguard .223/5.56 nato
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »
i'm not sure, I have a .223, and someone once told me to not ever shoot ball ammo through my rifle, in that it was not intended to shoot ball ammo, just the regular .223 rounds...but i'm not sure, I've just been playing it safe. I don't think i'd shoot much of the 5.56 ammo anyways, most of it is dirty powder with lubed bullets and cases made for semi's and I don't need that gunking up my chamber
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:50:05 AM »
C51 thanks for your response,I apologise for not responding with what I found out...I called Weatherby directly...unless the firearm is stamped on the barrel .223/5.56 NATO DO NOT SHOOT BALL AMMO. The ad that I saw was wrong or at least misleading..I tried to find one of those Mossberg MVP rifles that are advertised .223/5.56 NATO and use the military clips, couldn't locate one locally to see how they are stamped.. It became a moot point for me as I found a Savage over/under with a .222 on top...I had one of these in mid 70's, the new one is currently at Rich Woodward's Repair Service getting hammer and trigger workover and scope mount beefed up...Rich was a gunsmith at Bass Pro,Hbg. opened his own shop..great person to deal with anybody needing anything I highly recommend # 717-448-7268.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
where did Rich open a shop at?... I know where his old shop was in Shermansdale, and that they'd closed the shop at BP but never heard where he went...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...