Author Topic: Your 2 cents on 17 Center Fire grain bullet  (Read 6683 times)

uncle buck

Your 2 cents on 17 Center Fire grain bullet
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »
I have yet to shoot a fox with one of the 17 Rem 20 grain V Max bullets...I  only use the Hornady 25 grain HP on fox and chucks and it works just right...However what happens to a fox it you hit them with a 20 grainer V Max?  Is  the 20 grain V max a fur friendly round or is it better to keep using the thing that keeps on working in my 17 Rem CF the Hornady 25 grain HP?

I might add that the 20 grainer's do shoot well in my 17 Rems...Just have used them at the range but my 17 Rem CF are zeroed for the 25 Grain HP.   I might also add that reloads of boththe 25 and 20 grainer's 17 Rem shoot so well with any of the recommended powders. Kind of hard to pick one that is the best...

Notice that most stores only have the 20 Grain factory bullets for the 17 Fireball..what a shame if the 20 grains rip fur.....However as we all know you can get the 25 grain HP for the 17 Fireball also from UMC...Remington..

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Your 2 cents on 17 Center Fire grain bullet
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
i use the 25 grain hollow point and can shoot dimes with it, it knocks down a coyote and no fur damage on fox.  i probably will never play around with the 20gr. 

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
Interesting? Ballistics reflect more energy and closer to zero at 300 yards for the 17 Remington 20 grain V Max (-4) then the 25 grain HP (-6)...  However I too only use the 25 grain HP for fox and coyotes...
Wow point blank to 300 yards and a drop of -4 and or -6 is one heck of a shooter.. sadly many times when we hunt fox there may be one heck of a crosswind...However that same crosswind impacts the 204 Ruger 32 grainer the 223 and the 22250 55 grainer's and the 222 50 grainer's too...   

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
25 Grain Berger Match Target have been the best for me.

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
25 Grain Berger Match Target have been the best for me.

This makes sense that this might be better then the varmint bullets...I Checked on this..The match grade are thicker and are not as explosive..So they probably would not tear up coyotes and or fox as easy as the thin skinned varmint bullets..  I would like to give Berger bullets a try some day...

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:39:10 PM »
I tried the 25 grain Berger Varmints first and they just about ripped chucks in half and shredded the yotes.  The match targets are the real deal.  I also played with some Woodchuck Den 30 grain Golds and they were too much for fox but I take them out when I chase coyotes.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:40:14 PM »
Also the target bullets are made to be more accurate...So you have a accurate bullet  (Target type and one that is thicker at the core that will not rip...yep I also would like to try the Berger Target type  bullets in my 17's.

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »
I have used Hornady 20 grain Vmax bullets on bobcat, coyote, fox and raccoon with great success over the years out of a 17 Mach IV.  I have used 25 grain Hornady JHP as well on same but, I found myself having some runners so I went back to the 20's.  They both are fine. The 20's just tend to be more accurate out of my rifle so I opt for them.  Shoot Straight.

TFC2223

Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 10:44:10 PM »
There was a time when I would sight my 17 CF 2 inches high at 100 yards...Since the 17 CF are accurate out to their lethal range. I will discontinue to do this...It's going to be sighted right on at 100 yards...This should work for point blank out to 250 yards...

Offline furbug

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 02:59:56 AM »
Men, most hunters in this state, kill less than 5 fox a year. While you are calling fox would it not be wise to use a 20 caliber, or even 22 caliber? Coyotes are pretty much everywhere now a days, why be under gunned. I've, seen run aways with good hits from a 17. And the ones that were clean kills a 22LR, would have done the job. If i were going for fox, it would be a shotgun, dimming my nite lite to near nothing, with the red lens,  kneeling in a corner of a field calling quietly, very quietly. Also this would stack up more foxes than using a rifle with a flood light. Would educate far less fox, that could be called again. Just my experience of targeting 1 particular animal in a evening, and what size gun I would be packing.

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
furbug,

With such little light, how do you consistantly identify your target?

I usually use the Wizard for shotgun work and the Light Force 140 when using the rifle.

Thanks, bootmud

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »
Predator hunting you read the land and use the appropriate firearm and lighting technique.. In some areas of the state there are more fox then coyotes and if I used a 204 Ruger or 22 center fire I would be blowing big holes in fox.  Shotgun is good for everything...IMO the 17 Rem or 17 Fireball anchors everything out to 250 yards..Why blow it up...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:24:01 PM by uncle buck »

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »
Two seasons ago I did an experiment with my Tactical 20 for fur damage.  I shot 25 fox with this caliber using 32 grain Hornady Vmax bullets and was very unhappy with the fur damage, regardless of where I placed my shot. 

As many already know its hard to find the perfect caliber when you target coyote, bobcat and fox with one caliber.  Yes you will eventually have runners with a 17 centerfire on coyote.  I have and its no fun losing them.  Each year hunters lose them with deer calibers as well.  They can be tough.  My take on it is use the best caliber for your intended quarry and preferred technique.  I hunt fur and in my part of the state I call in many more fox than coyote so until fox season closes I carry the 17 centerfire which WILL handle coyote.  When fox goes out I switch up to a Tactical 20.  It does great on coyotes and is usually authoratative with its hits when I do my job behind the trigger.  You can way pros and cons all day long and at the end of the road the variables such as energy, velocity fur damage if that is a concern and so on still exist.  Use what fits your particular needs in the field, fine tune your techniques and put em down.   

UB as far as fur damage with the 20 grain Vmax bullets I have had great results on fur when I stay off of heavy bone and the fringes of the animal.  This past season I did do more damage than I have even seen in the past with the same load but, was shooting a different lot of bullets.  Currently I am blaming some of the unusual fur damage on this since everything else seems to be a constant.  The 20 grain vmax has been my go to since 2005 and it will lead off in October as well.  Good luck with them if you elect to use them in your 17.

TFC2223
KCC Prostaff
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
First I have to make a correction above.  I wrote Coyote and I have never shot or even seen a coyote hunting.  I meant to type fox.

Back to the .17 Fireball discussion....which by the way I am thoroughly enjoying.

I have to credit TFC223 with turning me onto this caliber.  When I started getting serious about predators I got some emails from TFC that really showed me the benefit of the .17.   I eventually bought a Remington 700 CDL in 17 Furball and I absolutely LOVE the caliber.  In fact, in hindsight, I could sell all my guns except for 3.  Although I much prefer my .243 over the 30.06 I would have the 30.06 for big game, the shotgun for crows and small game, and the .17 Rem. fireball for coyotes, fox, bobcat, groundhogs, and the occassional crow in the field.

If anyone is near me in Lehigh County and you want over a hundred .17 Berger Varmint bullets they are yours my fellow PPHA members.  I might even let a near full box of .30 grain Golds go for a few bucks.  For me it is strictly the 25 grain Berger Target bullet.   Now if only I could find one of those wiley coyotes...