Author Topic: Outstanding article on the 22WMR Ammo Shooting Times March 2010  (Read 7060 times)

uncle buck

Outstanding article on the 22WMR Ammo Shooting Times March 2010
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:00:43 PM »
Wow what an outstanding article on 22 WMR ammo...Explains 16 different brand and grains of 22 WMR ammo.. Accuracy, velocity, retained weight of projectile, penetration depth, Ballistic Coefficient,  150 yard performance, muzzle energy, guns used  CZ, Savage model 93, also in Ruger Single Six  22 hand gun with 5.5 inch barrel. hand gun was shot at 15 feet. Long gun 150 yards. Used wet News Print medium
then author gives his 2 cents of which brand of bullet and grain to use for squirrels, prairie, dogs, Wood chucks, fox, etc etc etc.

Then at the end he compares the 17 HMR to the 22 WMR for anchoring animals...Good info..I am going to save this book and try some of ammo he recommended for fox..

By the way which is:  Federal 50 grain HP (7 inch penetration), Winchester  45 grain Dynapoint (7 inch penetration), Winchester 28 grain JTH (9.3 inches of penetration).

The bullets the allow or make 5 to 7.5 inch penetration would be good all around guns...

Author killed a Puma with the Federal 50 grain  HP at State College...Just seeing if you were reading this..Nope the Puma was killed in Argentina with the 22 WMR Federal 50 grain HP and a CZ 22 WMR.

Now I need to look at all my 22 WMR.   um some  22 WMR Federal  30 grain TNT HP... Penetration 3 inches bullet retention rate 0.5our of a possible 100.0. That not a fox round that be a Misting ROUND PROBABLY FOR GROUND SQUIRRELS????????
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:02:20 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

Re: Outstanding article on the 22WMR Ammo Shooting Times March 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:03:17 PM »
Vmax, HP, Soft Point....????

Many times just discusing things with some of the people on here makes you gain plenty of wisdom...Like....Member Scott comment about why he like to use the 25 HP VS   the 20 grain V-Max in his 17 Fireball....I started thinking about that...I too use the 25 Grain HP in my 17 Rem and it works great...Now I  have reloaded some of the 20 Grain V Max and they too shoot real accurate...However...Like Scott's further comment on the 25 HP....Need the larger grain bullet when you do shoot a coyote with the 17 Center Fire...

The data in the article on the first post had that written all over it when using the 22 WMR.  Use the bullets like the Win Dynapoints and the Federal 50 grain 22 WMR that mushroom more like a big game bullet.. They retain their size of the slug and they drive deeper into the animal...
The V Max.....explode 3 inches in...This could be good if you place one right between the ribs and it goes into the chest cavity. However if you have a slug that mushrooms...Like the Federal 50 grainer's and the Win Dynapoints that will penetrate 7-9 inches. That probably better for a bigger animal..

See that is why the 22 WMR in the authors opinion was better then the 17 HMR grain bullets..... The bullet retained it original size and had more energy when it hits..

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:13:02 PM »

See that is why the 22 WMR in the authors opinion was better then the 17 HMR grain bullets..... The bullet retained it original size and had more energy when it hits..

This should read when the 22 WMR bullet hits at 150 yards.  The 17HMR is not a 150 yard fox gun for sure.....

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:36:43 PM »
Stores?  No wonder we buy most of our predator calling equipment out of state on the web. Looks like the going bullet  22 WMR are the V Max  in stores.  Wow those Dynapoints and the Federal 50 grainers are no where to be found...I am going to have to visit my local gun shop...Actually there is no hurry for this anyway...Season already in, season already over,  I would not play around with this until the Summer time anyway..
Funny...Once the season starts I never go to the club to shoot my guns in...Time to hunt predators then with the guns I already have sighted in..
Maybe a vendor would have them at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show?????

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:01:18 PM »
Visited a local gun show today...There on the table...1 each box  of Federal 22 WMR 50 grainers for $10.00.   Won't be using these for practice... Going to sight in the Marlin 22 WMR bolt action and keep this for fox hunting come the 2010-2011 season.

Thats what I like about gun show's instead of going to the stores. You never know what your going to find on the tables..