Author Topic: Your favorite coon gun is?  (Read 2697 times)

uncle buck

Your favorite coon gun is?
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
See fur buyers frown on coon being shot with a shotgun.  What caliber and model of gun do you like to shoot coon out of trees?

Me, Ruger Single Six hand gun in 22 LR Rimfire configuration... Um the 22 WMR cylinder is nice when your guiding and do not want to carry a long gun. Also might be nice to pop a red and or a grey sith the 22 WMR Single Six during twilight conditons close...If they do not know your there and they are sitting there and close...

Love the Sngle Six for checking the trap lines too...

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Your favorite coon gun is?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:16:23 AM »
i carry a the single six just for coons although i have been thinking about using it for grey fox also. 

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »
We just shot ours this week with a 22LR long gun...one shell did them in just fine...trapline i'm carrying the ruger single 6 22lr/wmr, but only shooting cb's from it
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
when running hounds a cricket chambered in .22lr was used.  I would say any of the rimfires would work good. I would opt for a .17hmr or a .22mag in a marlin or savage bolt action personally.  I do not know many that go out calling coon just because
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:09:20 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”