Author Topic: The night time shotgun  (Read 2959 times)

uncle buck

The night time shotgun
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:35:30 AM »
Lately I have been using a 10 gauge single shot NEF.  Figure, the only time I ever empty my shotgun was during twilight conditions over snow cover...When it's dark and you get the shot...Boom and the eyes are gone...You either get it with the one shot or miss it. Most times a miss and  the eyes are heading in the other direction unseen by the night time predator caller.
Make sure if you have a single shot break open shotgun to use it...Also if your hunting with other hunters it's a real safe gun to carry at night time too....New they are about $95.00 for a new 12 gauge..One can get a used one for a bit cheaper. 
Also the side by side and over and under are not a bad night time gun either...However most times it's still the one shot thats all you get...
Come daylight or twilight conditions over snow that is when the pump and the semiautomatic can speak three times....
Also that is why I never mind using the Encore at night time either...One shot and the eyes are gone..
I can see why many of you guys like to use the Encore single shot turkey guns for night time predator hunting.....Encore turkey barrel could cost you about $320.00. 

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: The night time shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:42:35 AM »
UB you know if Remington makes a shorter barrel(turkey barrel) 20'' -22" or so...in the remington 870? I was figuring they do, since, they have everything else for the 'ol reliable...but I have not found one anywhere...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:09 PM »
Yes they do.. 20 incher but not turkey barrel,  deer barrels with a modified Rem choke tube for buckshot. One configuration has rifle sights and the other a Cantilever scope mount...  However you can change them out to the applicable Rem choke you desire..They come with a Modified Rem Choke tube.  If you have other Rem or get an 870 Deadcoyote choke tube you can have a short barreled predator scatter gun.

20 inch rifle sight Rem Choke # 24545
20 inch  Cantilever scope mount barrel with modified Rem Choke # 26227

make sure you check to see if these barrels also handle 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells..
Data obtained from Rem 2009 catalog..

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »
So, I can shoot shot out of a rifled barrel? That may sound like a stupid ? but i've never done that so...lol
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »
I really like carrying the stoeger uplander,  i like the fact of having 2 different loads at your fingertips.  with more and more coyotes showing up to grey fox pup.  then there is the fact of loading and unloading in the dark, how many times i dropped a shell from the browning.   also, stoeger on their defense model has a ramp to put on lights, already emailed them to see if it could be put on the uplander, waiting for a response. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »
shooting shot out of a rifled barrel could be done in theory but I wouldn't expect good results.  the spinning action will probably make the lead shot spiral out and spread it more.  which can be beneficial at close ranges but at the 45 yd mark with certian loads I would be worried about shot spreading out too thin.  20 yds it would probably be perfect.  but that is something that would need tested.

my night time shotgun is just a mossberg 500 I shoot #4 buck out of.  it is topped with a simmons red dot.  I don't use a gun mounted light either.  it is more natural for me to cock my hat while bringing up the gun and letting a load go.  JMO. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »
So, I can shoot shot out of a rifled barrel? That may sound like a stupid ? but i've never done that so...lol

No the barrels I referenced are not rifled... They are smooth bored..Seethey comewith a screw in choke... They are made for 00 Buckshot namely for deer hunting....See the Rem and the Win people don't think of us predators much when it comes to making shotgun barrels.  However once you put in the proper Rem choke....You have a smooth bore not a rifled deer gun that can shoot any size shot you desire....