Author Topic: Hunting Coyote Dairy Farms  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Coemgenus

• PPHA Members
Hunting Coyote Dairy Farms
« on: July 16, 2016, 03:21:22 AM »
As a newbie to the forums, and I apologize if this question has been posed.  Has anyone ever approached a dairy farmer to request permission to "protect" his livestock from coyotes?  I know that there are many dairy farms in western NJ and I was wondering if anyone has approached dairy farmers in their area regarding the coyote threat.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother;...(William Shakespeare's play, Henry V, Act IV scene iii, St Crispin's Day speech)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Hunting Coyote Dairy Farms
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
Newbe
Most dairy farmers do not have free ranging cattle anymore. But most farmers will not have a problem with you hunting coyotes. The only cattle farmers that seam to have cattle out side the barn any more are veil. Free ranging chicken farmers would probably be happy for you to get rid of all predators.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 04:26:24 PM »
Most dairy, pig, chicken , etc farms usually have a "dead pile" where they take all their dead Carcuses.  If you have the time to put in, it's a good place to just sit and watch if you know the coyotes are hitting it.   I have a pig farm with a dead pile.  I have seen lots of tracks but never called in a single fox or coyote.  I guess my animal distress sounds just don't appeal to them when they are use to an easy meal by walking in to all the dead ones.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 05:12:21 PM »
Ground hogs, whistle pigs, ground grizzles or any other name you can come up with is the best key to unlocking most farms to predator hunt. They do damage to crop fields and it helps the farmer out by you shooting them.
Most of the response I get is we don't allow deer hunting, it's for family only and I just reassure the farmer I only want to shoot groundhogs and predators and it's funny to see the face most make.
Try that approach and you might just pick up a few farms to hunt. Just don't ask on a Sunday.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »
Take Bowman66's advice. I haven't had trouble finding permission to hunt on farms. It makes a big difference growing up and knowing the local farmers. By all means keep a good reputation and be respectful.