Author Topic: Road Kill  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Road Kill
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
I hit a Grouse chick yesterday. I wasn't speeding, in fact I was driving slow on a mountain road.
Rounded a curve and there they are.
Mother was off to my side and chicks ran towards her as I already had foot on break peddle. At last minute, one chick changed directions. I looked in mirror to see chick dragging it's wing. Dang. Turned around and they were gone, I couldn't find the hurt chick.
This is only the second time I hit anything 'in the road'.

I felt bad the rest of the day and tried to recall other road kills I had in the past.
Early '70's a Deer ran into my front, drivers side bummer. I say that, because it did and no time to react.
I hit a couple of birds or they flew into my vehicle.
Having been a professional driver my adult life I never had too many road kills, very low percentage.
So,1 Deer, a couple of Birds & and a Grouse chick... Question-
Have you ever had a roadkill in your travels?

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Road Kill
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( 6 point buck in my wife's van that we still had the pink slip( didn't even have the van two weeks)...$3500 in front end damage. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Clipped a doe with my utility trailer...got the suburban past but the trailer broke her neck :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(...hit a couple of rabbits and a ground hog...and I believe a snake or two...YES, :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ I've hit a few critters.. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:58:10 AM »
 :( A few deer over the years have launched themselves into me  :P I once had a hen pheasant fly into my windshield and in a puff of feathers hit,she went over the roof. I stopped ;D wife said what are you doing? I said, I'm not going to waste a perfectly good pheasant.  ::) So yes it's true Perry Countians will eat roadkill  ;) sometimes fresh and sometimes we age it a little  :P :P........................ 8)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:43:08 AM »
No lie. ;)  I have hit more critters with my vehicle than goose and Jaspr have trapped in their lives.  One of the more memorable ones was a ringneck pheasant that I swear was coming through the windshield.  To the point that I ducked down so I wouldn't get killed.

Seriously, I have hit a lot but this last weekend while snake hunting I almost hit a turkey poult.  Missed it by a feather and I was glad.  I like them little guys.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:18:01 PM »
With my work I drive truck all over the state and I've had many of flying birds hit the box.. and quite a few near misses with mammals, some big, some small....but driving a lot keeps you sharp..as far a personal vehicle, maybe a opossum here or there...that's it..knock on wood..
PPHA President

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
30 years on the road, 3 deer,numerous skunks, possums, pheasants, cats, squirrels,  groundhogs, a few dog's,  and many birds...  I've squished a pile of snakes... when I ran the left Coast the side winders used to come out on the road way when the sun started going down, most of them would lay in the tracks oriented to the east and west... if you hit them head first they'd pop out the tail,  you could hear it up in the cab...       8)  the first armadillo I ever saw I ran over, damn armour plated possums... thats all I can remember right off hand...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 05:15:17 AM »
L$F states:" :) No lie. ;)  I have hit more critters with my vehicle than goose and Jaspr have trapped in their lives.  :)"   WOW  :o  that's a lot of poor critters killed and testament to your poor driving ability  :P :P I think the subliminal message is quite clear  ::) ::) Your quite jealous of our impressive trapping abilities and if it wasn't for your motor vehicle you would never get anything  :-[ :-[ :-[................... 8) PS: "Goose" and I are having a cookout over the 4th......"Fisher Wings" hot off the grill, come on out!!!  ;D ;D.....

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 03:20:52 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D The lad likes to dream big  ??? ??? ??? ??? maybe someday he will comprehend the meaning of "Don't mess with the old coots"!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o cause you will loose every time... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) we didn't get to be this age by being dumb, so Lookn4anexcuse....take notes!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Look at my size  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? I've probably eaten more critters than you've seen in your life time  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
You can't argue with feeble minds.  You Win!
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Thank-you!! Thank-you very much!! :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
at least he knows his limitations...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...