Author Topic: Autistic grandson getting a lab service dog!  (Read 4967 times)

Offline huntin-girl

Autistic grandson getting a lab service dog!
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:02:48 AM »
Hello!
Just wanted to share our good news with the hunting dog lovers here-- especially those who love labs. I have an 8 year old grandson who has autism... he's a wonderful boy that has his challenges. We just found out that labs are being used as service dogs with children who are autistic. Needless to say, we're excited at the prospect of how his life will change as he bonds with this dog. We've got the process going and it looks like they are going to assign him a yellow lab named Rosey. My daughter is doing lots of fundraisers to help pay for the dog because insurance won't pay for service dogs. Can't wait til Rosie can join our family!
huntin-girl

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Autistic grandson getting a lab service dog!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
what type of fund raisers is she doing?   

Do you buy the dog or are they for a lack of a better term, rented? 

Just wondering.. 

Thanks
Scott

Offline huntin-girl

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:02:43 AM »

She has an Operation: Buy-A-Bone in some stores and agencies where people can buy a (paper) bone for a $1 and hang it in the store/agency with their name on it to show support.
    The local American Legion is having a benefit dance tonight at 10pm in Philipsburg, PA. Admission is $3 and anyone's welcome.
    On November 22, 6 or 7 bands are having a benefit concert at the Electric Avenue in Houtzdale PA from 6pm-2am. They'll also be doing some raffles and 50-50s there.
     I am an artist and I would like to sell or raffle one of my paintings for the cause. Two of my paintings can be seen on this site in the Welcome Aboard forum under Hello from Clearfield County.
I'm not sure how to go about that... I don't think they allow that on most sites.
Thanks for your interest!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:13:21 AM »
I live in NEPA and would be able to attend any of the funraisers.  But, I would buy some Bones.  Do you have an address where we could send some money? 

Offline huntin-girl

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »
Thank you so much! I will PM you with an address.
huntin-girl

Offline huntin-girl

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
I forgot to answer your other question: Austin and his family will actually own the dog. It's a 2 yr old yellow lab that is in training now to be a service dog. The cost will be $7500+, that's why we're having fundraisers. The dog will then be trained specifically for Austin's needs. It's very cool and we are very excited!

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »
this sounds pretty darn cool. i aint got much to spare but i'd be more than happy send a little somthing along for Austin. could i get that address as well please?

hats off to you for offering up some of your paintings for the cause....very nice. ;)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »
i got your pm, envelope is in the mail. 

scott
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:26:36 PM by scott »

Offline huntin-girl

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »

Thanks so much! We'll post a picture when we get her!
huntin-girl :)

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 12:12:46 AM »
Can you list some of the places you can buy bones. I may also see you on the 22 do you know yet what the cover charge will be ?
PPHA District 3

Offline huntin-girl

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 07:38:20 AM »
    Right now, the bones are being sold at Cen-Clear Child Services Behavioral Health building behind True Value in Philipsburg, Ken's Quick Stop Shop in Glen Hope, and Northwestern Human Services in DuBois, (also known as Highpoint). You can also write me directly if you want (PM me for the address). Due to Cen-Clear and Northwestern offering mental health services, it might be better for you to write me for bones (because of client confidentiality), or stop in at Ken's store in Glen Hope. She may also have other stores selling them that I don't know about.
    As for the Benefit Concert at Electric Avenue on Nov 22, the cover charge is $10 for 7 bands and 8 hours of music, 6pm-2am. They plan to do 50-50s, raffles, and other additional things.  The bands are Reckless Endangerment, Helios Eternus, Killin' Time, Fistful of Hate, G211, Calosity, and Vent as it stands right now.
   We hope to raise $10,000 total--($7500 for the dog and the rest is costs for the trainer to fly in with the dog and train with Austin here for 2 weeks, his lodging, etc).  Let me know if you have anymore questions and pass the word if you can.
Thanks! huntin-girl

OH SURE

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 08:33:02 AM »
PLEASE SEND ME THE ADDRESS TOO.... I WOULD LIKE TO DONATE TOO....

Offline huntin-girl

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »
Here's Rosie! She arrived January 20th and she's doing a great job with my grandson-- so may positive changes already!! The big shadow over the whole thing is the local school has refused to let the dog in. The dog is supposed to be with Austin around-the-clock, but the dog is home alone, instead of working like it was trained to do. Needless to say, we aren't happy. There's another meeting this week about it, so pray with us!
Thanks! huntin-girl

Offline huntin-girl

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »
Hi Everyone,
   I just had to write. Some of you know that Michele and Austin were interviewed by WTAJ-TV Channel 10 today regarding the problems we are having because the dog won't let Rosie attend school with Austin. They did a great job, but I wanted to share something the cameras didn't show. When the camera crew arrived, Austin met them at the door and said, "Hello, my name is Austin. This is my Mom. This is my brother Connor. This is my grammy and this is my dog, Rosie."
    Before the dog came in January, the longest sentence I ever heard Austin say was 4 or 5 words. A few weeks ago, I was so excited when he used an 8 word sentence to tell me where his brother was. Today he said 24 words in one streak of introductions. Do you know how proud I felt in those moments? And how my heart went out to this child that needs an autism service dog and is being turned away by the entity that should most understand his needs and how he can benefit from his dog??

Thanks all for your support, and continue to keep this matter in your prayers...
huntin-girl

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »
Seen part of it on the news tonight but missed the beginning. Let us know how he makes out with the school .
PPHA District 3