Author Topic: Leaves Of Three Flee  (Read 2585 times)

uncle buck

Leaves Of Three Flee
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:18:22 AM »
Old timer remember the song: "Poison Ivy".  I wonder how many of us can even ID Poison Ivy in the wild? Wow the banks going down to anywhere along the Susquehanna River is filled with it.  My son use to get it so bad that his eyes would shut...He would end up looking like the Hunch Back of Notre Dame (Quizzy Moto) . Remember one time the doc in the hospital asked him if we were beating him..Kid had to take Cortozone shots.
I use to hunt rabbits near Amity Hall in Perry County..Fall....Leaves of Three were all gone by then... however what did my 12 year old son and i do...Took a break from our rabbit hunt and sat right down in where the vines where not thinking it was Poison Ivy.. Again his eyes closed shut mine didn't. So wow kids... they rub their eyes and the Ivy oil gets into their membranes and it's another trip to the doctor.. We went to a dermatologist and try to get the shot for Poison Ivy for my son. the doc said they have it but it's not worth the side affects on someone and most times it does not work...

Then there was the older women that got some Poison Ivy...Salesmen happen to be visiting her and she was telling him about catching it.  He told her to make a tea out of it and drink it and she would never get it again...The women did it...Made a tea and drank the tea made from Poison ivy.. She neared died...She got poison ivy inside of her.... She lived and she however never got poison ivy before..  Now don't go and do this because like I said she neared died from doing it...However poison ivy so toxic that it will even spread on your insides too.

You guys with younger kids...You need to tell them what it looks like or show them Poison Ivy.  Could be that their eyes me swell shut and some emergency room doctor will want to know if your beating your kids too... LOL LOL

Good stuff to use prior to venturing into the woods and after exposure is:  "Tecnu".  It's an outdoor skin cleanser that removes Poison Oak and Ivy oils that cause the rash and itching.  It stops the irritant from spreading  and decontaminates laundry, pets and tools.. Wally World sales it..  

You and your wife and your kids learn what the Leaves Of Three Look Like..watch along paths or along rivers and small ponds too.   Don't drink any tea made from Poison Ivy Leavers. Also never ever sit on the ground near Amity Hall to take a break during a rabbit hunt...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:40:25 AM by uncle buck »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: Leaves Of Three Flee
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:36:14 PM »
Just finished up my steroids  after catching it so bad on a hedge job 2 weeks ago. It is horrible this year. I've never seen leaves so big.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:36:50 PM by predator77 »
FayetteNam

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
Breathing smoke from firewood burning with poison ivy on it. Can end you up in the hospital.

For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:35:28 PM »
Ian
   One year I dug out hedges for my parents figuring February was a safe time to do it. Wore gloves and was very careful. Worst ivy I ever got.  The steroids (Prednisone), worked but it was everywhere.

Ernie
    A friend got it in NJ and wound up in the hospital for a while.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers