Author Topic: Predator Hunting changing and increasing by leaps and bounds  (Read 4184 times)

uncle buck

Predator Hunting changing and increasing by leaps and bounds
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
I know some of the other seasoned predator callers on hear MIGHT agree to this...Did you ever pick up and read most of the older books on predator calling....They truly don't say JACK about calling...I do have the up most respect for Dennis Kirks books.. I learned so much from them and 75% of the data in them is still good info for all predators hunters..  I do like the old PGC Pa Trapper book..One can learn some info on predator calling from that yet.. However from time to time I will pick up some of the older books and read them and I think to myself: Shame on These Guys For Passing This Type Of Book and how to calling info to new predator callers..
So that is why we truly can't write books on predator calling now...Wow things are changing by leaps and bounds, New types light, new shooting systems styks, pods, supports, electronics, and also the increase of coyote populations here in Pa... Also just how coyotes act in different parts of this here United States.. One thing that does get me upset is when you do see predator calling articles and predator calling books and How To Predator Calling Videos that don't show JACK!!!!!Seems like people just wanting to make money on the new callers and the gullible hunters.
I do like some of the new equipment and calls that people are putting out for old and new callers..Looks like predator calling as a sport is really taking off big time... I like That!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:08:34 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Predator Hunting changing and increasing by leaps and bounds
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:32:36 PM »
UB, many of the ole predator calling books were written back in the fur boom ('70's). They were written to capitalize on new folks (and high $$ fur prices). A money maker for the writer with little experience.
I have seen this in the trapping industry during the fur boom. Many lure makers pushed their brand of lures. Fur prices went down and many of these so-called lure makers/professional trappers/book writers/article writers are gone and forgotten.
Now-a-days, modern trappers have no clue how to use or make bait. Still a top canine catcher is meat bait.
30+ years later, modern trappers rely on lure, the lingering effect of lure makers pushing books and articles.
Scary how some basic things get lost.

I feel a predator calling book could be written now. By an experience person,  stressing the basics and adding the advance methods.
We hunters make things harder than what they are.
An author should stress scouting, proper setups, large hunt territory, wind/ weather patterns, prime times/low times and the hardest, in my opinion, desire and drive to keep after 'em. The season is a long rollie coaster.
The basics and advance methods have not change.
I agree the equipment has changed, but that's another book.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »
UB, Coyote always acted different in different parts of the county. I feel they even act different in different parts of Pennsylvania that I have hunted and trapped.
Some Coyote react to a certain call in my area and turn their nose up in a differnt part of the state. Why?
I wish I could sit down and talk with a Coyote and Fox for an hour or two.

So whoever writes that next predator calling book or article, I trust you stick to the basics. Scout, gun, light, predator call and good setup location.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »
Hern your right about the basics.. There are so many basics books out there that a new caller needs to just read one and not buy 999 with the same ole stuff in it..The Kirk book alone..."What You Always Wanted to Know About Fox Calling"  does this and it's a great book to read for new callers.. Even seasoned callers should read it and they catch things in the print they did not notice. Once you experience something the narrative kind of stick out better for you..

That other book you speak of...that's the one that can change over night...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:24:23 PM »
UB, the equipment is changing fast. I would have to live to be 193 years old to test all the produsts and watch all the videos... ;D

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »
Hern
I can not even keep up with the changes I made to my own hunting methods. LOL
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »
Just from last year I changed my shooting methods and some of the lights that I use.. I'm always experimenting with lights and such...

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 04:29:17 AM »
Uncle Buck, Hern, Buckwheat. Maybe you guys could write that next book. As a new caller I pay close attention to the information you guys pass along. It is invaluable to have experienced guys like you, and others to get us new callers started in the right direction.

Just a thought ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:30:10 AM by melsdad »
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »
I'm gonna write a book on the proper way to sleep while predator hunting.  The other night it was really nice out and I fell asleep in a cow pasture resting against a fence post.  Just something peaceful about being outside away from the kids and woman.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »
I am going to write one on what not to do. 

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »
sc says-
I fell asleep in a cow pasture resting against a fence post
That's funny. I try to make it back to the truck.

melsdad- thank you

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 01:19:42 PM »
Buckwheat and UB, I know you guys and myself have changed equipment, but I bet you still stick with the basics and pay attention to details. Plus you two guys (and others on this site) have learn to make adjustments during certain setups.
Details and adjustments become second nature to seasoned callers.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
Hern
Boy I wish I could put all the little details and adjustments made for each stand in a book. You would have to study it for 194 years. But do not worry, the book would never get finished anyway. I would be still making adjustments to details for the next 195 years.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 06:45:48 PM »
Adjustments in the field.. The smart caller will make adjustments even if the wind shifts on them...If it wind changes direction and is becoming constant,,,, MOVE your position..You stay there and the wind shifts your not going to do well...Many times I will get in a spot to post and all of a sudden I get this feeling..This is not quite the right spot to post. Namely you start to read the terrain..Maybe the farmer cut the fields or a light is behind your position that will illuminate you to the predator. 

I missed three fox already this year just because of glare off of my shotgun light...It's adjusted now thats for sure..However they would have been such easy shots..10 yarders and the light was glaring in my eyes when I tried to drop them on the spot...

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
Seems like one is always learning when it comes to hunting the hunters. 

Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS