Author Topic: The Carp .........baits  (Read 3981 times)

uncle buck

The Carp .........baits
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
Most times I have hooked into Carp using a crawler...However in May...When fishing for  Channel Cats (bank Fishing) with Crawfish AKA Crawdads....Wow I have hooked into some big Carp...One  34 inches long..

I know some fisherperson's use dough balls...I never caught any Carp using the commercial Carp bait (paste). I have a friend that use to target Carp and Bowfin at Lake Marburg using niblets corn.

I also visited a sports show once and this European guy was selling these hard Carp baits.  They were not hooked to a hook.. They kind off hang off to the side of a nonbaited hook. The Carp would suck in the hard bait ball and of course you'd set the nonbaited hook hard..  LOL Didn't catch Jack with that bait either..
Here is what that rig and bait looks like:  http://www.carpkrazy.com/carp-rigs.html

Oil of Anise is a good attractant to put in dough balls for Carp. A friend of mine from my hometown use to fish the Susquehanna River and did he ever catch the Carp with Oil of Anise in his Carp dough Bait balls..

I do remember an article a few years back in Pa Angler....The Carp were eating the small yellow plums that feel off of trees that hung out over the water... The author did try the yellow plums on a hook and was catching Carp..

Carp  fishing!!!Nice to hook into one with a Zebco Spin Cast reel... Zebco's can sure sing...They also are somewhat protected from mud when fishing the Susquehanna River banks..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:50:35 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The Carp .........baits
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:12:53 PM »
I was thinking about doing some carp fishing in the conodoquinet this year.  the hair rig you pictured is supposed to be the best rig out there though.  most of the people I have seen use it use corn on it.  when the fish is mouthing the bait the hook hooks itself.  I do know where there are some decent carp in the conodoquinet. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »
corn was the best i've done, worms probably 2nd, but I have caught a few huge carp on a rebel crayfish while fishing for smallmouths
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
Make doughballs with shredded wheat. KILLER!!!