Author Topic: Chumming? Is that legal in Pa?  (Read 13336 times)

uncle buck

Chumming? Is that legal in Pa?
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
Chumming Is That Legal In Pa?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:29:16 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Chumming? Is that legal in Pa?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:10:37 PM »
the state frowns on it because it can kill trout.  but I sometimes chum for channels.  still haven't figured out if it works or doesn't work yet. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:33:32 AM »
Heard tell of people who fish lake Marburg for Carp and Bow Fin by Chumming Corn!!!  They fish from a boat...They throw hand fulls of niblets corn overboard... Then the finicky Carp and Bow Fin will not take any bait with weight on it what so ever...  One takes one kernel of corn  on a small hook without any weight on it and drops it down where all the corn was chummed..Of course since there is no resistance they grab the lone piece of corn.  If you guys are fishing Marburg....Give it a try when the game fish are not hungry....

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:33:02 AM »
you're allowed to chum...we throw popcorn out on top of the water for carp, then shoot'm with the bow when they rise from the boat...small and sometimes large numbers of channels can be caught with chum as well...never heard of trout dying due to chumming tho...you figure when they're in that concrete hatchery they throw dry food pellets on top of the water
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »
The state claims that large amounts of corn kill trout.  I know its bs but its the state.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »
sounds like the state tryin to tell you not to go to the streams before opening day and scout for trout by throwing corn into the water...they're all raised in a concrete channel stacked on top of each other, and they're made to be caught and eaten not to survive in the stream anyways, they're even sterile...I go for like the first weekend because its exciting to get out and enjoy the creek, but I can't get too excited a bout catching a monster trout...I like how the state holds this fishery in high regards, it is the best and largest state run system to raise trout in the country. I don't like how they tell people stuff like this
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Renny

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
The PFBC did a study and found that trout cannot digest corn properly.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:55:30 AM »
I do know that they make purina fish chow you can buy at the store.  Supposed to be the same stuff as the hactchery sells.

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 03:49:11 PM »
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

This proves that corn will not kill trout and it's from the state.

Also chumming: Legal but frowned upon.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:51:27 PM by SongDogSilencer »

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

This proves that corn will not kill trout and it's from the state.

Also chumming: Legal but frowned upon.

Thanks for sharing that bit of info for us about Trout and corn and if chumming is legal.. I appreciate it..

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »
Used to throw pea gravel at my bobbers by the handful, in a local stocked lake,
trout thought it was feeding time back in the runways, and would turn on like a light

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 11:33:17 PM »
Used to throw pea gravel at my bobbers by the handful, in a local stocked lake,
trout thought it was feeding time back in the runways, and would turn on like a light

When I was a kid  a guy who lived on the trout streams told me me in the Spring to catch suckers fast go up streams aways and throw in about two shovels full of dirt.. Was suppose to trigger the suckers into hitting worms???????????????????????????????

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »
I have chummed for trout using corn and had spectacular results. It almost always puts them in a feeding frenzy and those golden rainbow trout just can't resist corn. I have opened the stomachs of trout and have found corn in them that appeared to be starting to get digested.

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
Berkley's Corn Flavored Power Bait is outstanding bait for Large Rainbows and Palominos!!!