Author Topic: Fishing with a bow or gig  (Read 3728 times)

uncle buck

Fishing with a bow or gig
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »
When I was young it was only a few fish that you could shoot with bow or gig... Didn't I see now that you can gig and shoot catfish with a bow?

Anyway...everyone should gig for suckers just once in their life.. When they run up the small feeder streams at night when spawning.. A gig and the old days a Coleman lantern with a reflector on the back was all you needed.. neat... hundreds of them going up the stream in front of you and when you get one with a gig you can feel the power of the fish all the way up through the gig pole attached to the fork.. Kind of like what the Native Americans experienced here during the Woodland era... remember the sucker was here then but not the Carp.. we did make the mistake an import that in from Europe.. Wow what a mistake.. In the NEPA areas as a kid.. They sue to have Carp contest just to get them out of the Susquehanna River....
When do you gig.. Why when the trees blossom.. Get yourself a pair of hip boots or waders.. The gig and this is the time that maybe one of those cheap cash register white head lights will work so you won't need a Coleman lantern... Also take the red lens off you head lights and use them too....  Gigging you got to try or make sure you children enjoy it at least once in their life.

Renny

Re: Fishing with a bow or gig
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:35 AM »
Yes you can now shoot cats with a bow.  I shoot anytime I can and use them for trapping bait.....

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:04 PM »
Used to shoot them and bury them in the garden. They make great fertilizer. One time my dad had the bright idea that we'd go on a weekend long survival trip. We would live off of the fish we caught. Well we tried the carp we shot with the bow. Then we spent the next 2 hours catching as many rockbass and panfish possible. Nasty tasting things. yuck! Sure is fun shooting them tho.

Renny

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:07:22 AM »
From Friday.....

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:08:45 AM by Renny »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »
Have they started spawning yet?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »
carp have been running for a week here round home.  course the waters been too murky to try and nail a few. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
You gotta love the suction cups on the end of her arrows :D