Author Topic: What's Your Favorite  (Read 11086 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: What's Your Favorite
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »
 :) 1. A howl.     2. a coyote that is close but you can't put eyes on him (hung up),  My little squeaker....1 time and wait and wait..he heard me......if he is so inclined he will come if he is to upset with the whole thing he will leave...maybe he was shot at before,maybe his brother chewed on him, there are a thousand reasons its a roll of the dice...JMO...Sonny......... I hope to be in the woods a little more than the last few years and if I come up with anything better I will certainly share....8) 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 08:10:07 AM »
Not looking for the holy grail but if I find it that would be great.  Just asking what works best in your years of wisdom.

I have been talking with Andrew Lewand lately about these topics and just wanted to compare notes with some others that I respect.  I know the game but judging from most of your response just like my self you really don't have an answer.  We all just guess at what we hope will work.

There is some very distinct and different logic floating around about what sounds are best for coyote this time of year and I can't argue either side because both methods are killing coyotes.  I just feel that I am hunting smarter coyotes than any body else. ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 09:26:53 AM »
Lookn4fur
You probably are hunting smart coyotes.
Coyotes that have not been called can be as easy as fox if you set your stand up correctly.
Smart coyotes!!!  stand location is more inportant then the sounds you use. Everybody tries to use there Red and Gray fox calling experience on there set ups. Coyotes are bigger, smarter and hunt differently and cover much more area quickly, so when they get nervous their approach is different then fox.
There safety zone and aproch is different when comming in. They actually think differently on there aproch then fox on these smart coyotes.
You will have better luck setting up with 2 and 3 or  maybe more people, one person has a hard time covering all the ways they might decide to come in or hang up at.
Electronic call location is another thing you have to consider a lot more.

Here is some things to think about.
Are the number of coyotes you hunt different from were you get you information on how to kill them.
When you get how to hunt coyote information  you have to have all the information.
Like how hard they have been hunted, how many there are in the area and what contact they are used to bumbling in to people.
Example
There are places trappers catch 200 coyotes in a month and there are places to catch 5 is a big deal.
You have to have all the facts when deciding how to call them.
So when getting hunting,calling and stand location information you need to know what you up against when you start. Remember after you mess up you just made them even smarter.
That is why putting boots on the ground before you make your fist call is so inportant. The second time just gets harder. 
Walking around in there area scouting does not make them call shy, messing up calling does!!!

For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
NowLookn2Locate, your Coyotes may be smarter. I agree.
My reasoning because of all the Fox calling activity in many areas of our state and the boom in predator callers.Coyotes have become wise to distress sounds, humans using these sounds & Fox calling methods.
Am not knocking anyone or putting anyone down. I (a Fox caller) am in the same group.
As Fox callers or novice Coyote hunters, we all have called in Coyotes (while calling Fox) and never knew it, never seen 'em. By that, Coyote sits hundreds of yards away and contemplates the situation or approaches, swings downwind to catch our scent. After winding or sitting watching our moves, Coyote disappears. We furthered it's education on survival. In human terms- smarter. Just by going out to kill a couple of Fox tonight.
I feel PPHA members have recently learn to work/kill Coyotes. Information shared on this site along with Buckwheat's Coyote School has certainly improved the PPHA kill rate.
Smarter Coyotes. Yes. I feel we Fox callers have educated more Coyotes than we will know. It will continue. I believe our 'Coyote Calling Methods' of today will evolve. Coyotes will get wise to our methods, so we will have to adjust in the future. 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
Thank you for sharing but you are all great at not answering the questions.  Sounds like our presidential canidates.  Lol ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 12:11:59 PM »
Lookn4fur
Your are never going to learn are you?  If I post my best sounds on the board everyone will use them and they will no longer be my best calls. Critters will run the other way when I use them!! Then I will be standing there going what happened? I will have to get a new ball of tricks. As you are finding out calling sequences are hard to find.
I already told you what you need to know before, you just never listened.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 01:13:50 PM »
Oh I listened.  8) 8) 8) They make this feature on this board called a PM if you don't want to divulge your top secrets that everyone knows. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »
Lookn4fur
LOL!!! Now that right there is funny, I do not care who you are!!!! thats funny. Let me see? you are the one that wants to know and I am too PM you?
 Way before PMing, they invented the phone and that does not mean I am going to call you ether.
Besides, It, would take all day to type what works and you would just ask another question anyways.

How does every one know what super duper top secret call sound I use?
Hell, it changes just a little each time I learn also.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »
Lol.  I don't think you even know your own super top secret call scenario.  That's how secret it is. :D :D

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 07:09:36 AM »
 :) BW says:"Way before PMing, they invented the phone and that does not mean I am going to call you ether." Hey "Sonny" he calls me!.....LOL..........

I have a question for you.....how do you determine which favorite your going to start with? Let's say everything is in and you start with a Bee's rabbit squealer....and a fox runs up..are you going to shoot? A coyote could have been 10 steps behind the fox, coming from a different direction. Or maybe start with a howl, keep those pesky fox out of the game,except fox starts barking at you from a fence row away. What I'm saying is if BW gave you the code Rabbit squeal 1 min. then coyote howl etc. and you tried it and it didn't work,you would think he was misleading you. A good little Amish boy like him would never do such a thing but just sayin.... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D "you tried it and it didn't work,you would think he was misleading you."  ??? ??? ??? Now why at this stage of the game would Sonny think he was being mislead??  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
Seems you guys are having your own conversation.  I never said anyone was misleading.  I am not looking for a call scenario or a secret sound.  I was simply asking what works best for you all.  Maybe I should stop talking predators and just go back to making fun of the old coots?

By the way I am getting pm's from people and phone calls.  Unfortunately I was hunting and could not answer.  I figure the law of averages will lean in my favor soon and a dumb coyote will stick his nose in the wrong direction.  I am closing the gap hunt by hunt.  It's a game and I love it even though they are winning right now.  Lol

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
Jasper1
I have also called lookn4hope a few times not just you.
He is always busy hunting it seams when I call him. I never see any thing he kills wile hunting. So I guess he is just hunting were he put his phone. Or maybe he is just avoiding me.
I just want to clear the air on the fact I do call him.

The miss leading him thing is a dumb statrement!! How can I miss lead him. He never listens any thing I say. Besides he always hunting something and does not have time to be mislead.
As far as shooting Coyotes.
Heck i think he just said something like he hopes to shoot a coyote in the nose if it sticks it at the wrong spot. That alone is scary, we all know we're a dog sticks his nose alot of the time.

PMing
Not telling him what calls to use? It must be you other 3 old coots because I do not PM. If so stop it!!
Jasper has enough to on his plate with his kid.

I will call you later Jasper. We all have kids. I under stand.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2016, 08:27:12 PM »
 :) Sonny says: I am not looking for a call scenario or a secret sound.  :) Good because I don't have either. I am still trying to overcome being a fox hunter and breaking those bad habits. Also you did not answer the question if you call in a fox do you shoot it or wait hoping for a coyote?  8)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »
Jasper
I would shoot the fox, mister fox already felt safe enough that you probably did not call in any coyotes in.
What,s the saying,  a bird in your hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle