Author Topic: Getting the Gobbler buzz?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Getting the Gobbler buzz?
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
Man, I wish Spring gobbler started earlier. What's your favorite calls? since all we can do is talk about it.
(diaphram) Quaker boys Split quad or super split quad.
(friction) Quaker boy slate
(locater) Quaker boy paleated woodpecker or HS Strut Crow.(sorry for poor spelling).
Quaker boy in my opinion make the best turkey calls on the market.

I would like to see a spring archery season for turkey about 2 weeks earlier than regular season or the same time as the youth season.
FayetteNam

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
Re: Getting the Gobbler buzz?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »
I'm starting to get the itch. I've been hearing and seeing them almost every morning since February. I might be filming for a friend of my dad's and his son.
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline corey26

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
The gobblers have been strutting like crazy this past week or two in my area. I must have saw 75 birds
today and probably 25 of them were big toms showing off for the hens. I only dabble in spring turkey
hunting but I am getting excited about it this year. I like the Lynch's world champion box call, Quaker
boy old boss hen diaphram call, and the quaker boy push button call. They have been my best calls over
the years. I use a Mossberg 835 with x-full factory choke and 3" hevi-shot #5. I may switch to a carlson
choke though, for both coyote and turkey hunting.
Proud member of the PPHA

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
A coffee can with corn in it. The coffee can corn caller works like this just shake can and they come running. I got so many turkeys behind my house my wife needs to blow the horn to get them off the driveway.

Offline DAVID1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »
personally i like the primos wet box. i have mouth calls but im not consistant i cant blow good? .

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »
Any double diaphragm.

Offline DAVID1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:24:36 AM »
no, do u recomend them ? witch one? 

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »
if that was directed at me,HS double d but any quality call maker has them. I bought some at the Marysville show and I have also got them at the Eastern Sports show, some of these homemade ones just like predator calls sound great. I also used to get homemade ones from Red Wolfe in New Cumberland before they sold the business, to HS I believe.  Red developed the "gobble shaker" which worked great on a bird that needed to be coaxed a few yards more..I have a whole bag full of calls, slates and boxes and diaphragms, etc.. I have used all of them with varying results but it seems when i want to close the deal i end up with double diaphragm to do it. Important thing, if you have time, do some scouting to identify potential victims. DON'T overcall especially if where you hunt is heavily hunted by others. I have killed birds using as little as 2 soft calls, if he feels like suicide that day he will find you!

Offline DAVID1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »
i see, mouth cslls are fairly cheap last time i got that primos mouth call i "think" it was like 4 bucks mayb im wrong .

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:28:49 AM »
My favorite mouth call is hard to find and like $8 off the net. Tha Quaker Boy Split quad then they changed it to super split quad. That is the best call I ever used. For 3.5 reeds I can cut and purr awesome and the best yelps I ever made. I like it cause I can hit it hard then tone it down into soft purrs without any squeaks or oddball sounds. I can't wait to go.
FayetteNam

Offline DAVID1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 12:07:03 AM »
I know me to. Ill just use ye old box call. i would like to tru hunting in a blind. never had one.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
Well P77 you got me going now.. Yesterday to help it along I saw a gobbler and a few hens crossing the road below my house and that gets the fever up.....lol....I went and dug out my bag, every spring I buy something I don't need. I have a Lynch #102 box and a Butski series 2 cherry box, also 2 cedar calls with no names.  I have 4 round slate calls 3 homemade from around Perry Co. and a DD Adams and all types of strikers. Got a Knight and Hale "shock gobble owl call with hoot enhancer" ;D ;D I think I'm the only thing it shocked...lol...Owl hooter my father in law made and gave me. A silent dog whistle!  MAD " the egg" another winner..K&H fighting purr, I actually shot a bird using these. Shot 1 hasn't worked for me since. Gobble shaker. A couple 2 of push buttons. And a whole bunch of diaphragms, of all kinds of configurations. Curious what all your carrying around for those days when they have lock-jaw and won't cooperate. I would like to see the season start the last week in April,by the end of May it is to hot for me.

Offline corey26

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 06:12:19 PM »
I carry around 2 box calls, Lynch's world champion and the quaker boy Hurricane, a couple old boss hen
mouth calls and a deadly double by Primos and Top calls real hen. I have one slate call, a push button
call and a crow call. Owl hooters never did anything but get owls to hoot back at me so it stays at home.
I am still seeing alot of birds strutting around the hens in the fields so I am getting fired up!
Proud member of the PPHA