Author Topic: During the regular deer season daytime fox, coon, bobcat are CLOSED  (Read 3467 times)

uncle buck

I do this post  every year and many of you know it...You can only hunt fox, coon, bobcat at night time during the regular two week deer season.... This includes the Sundays too.....So make sure you do not get fined by shooting a red fox  that comes pass your deer stand...

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: During the regular deer season daytime fox, coon, bobcat are CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:38:36 AM »
I did not know that.
FayetteNam

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you killed a fox off of a gut pile?  would that be baiting? 

yeah every year I here of people killing fox in deer season just because they can.   :-\
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »
You would think it would be the other way around since your not allowed to spot wildlife during deer season. The PGC is messed up and confusing. Thanks for the post UB.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
Suggest that you stay off of public lands at night during this period too if your hunting predators legally....Sometimes I just hang up the predator night hunting for that period because of all the nuts out there thinking they have just broken a big poaching case ALONE..Take action without asking questions and disrupt a legal hunt that is going on....Best thing to do if you want to hunt....I do this....I hunt private lands since they, the farmers know it's me and not some nut poaching...However you have to watch out for those rightious neighbors of the farmer.......Especaially the ones that might pound nails in your tires thinking they are helping stop a deer poacher...Here they are breaking the law.....

Actually by hunting at night.....you could end up turning in a poacher if you stumble upon them...So you are helping the wardens stop the SLOB hunters....
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:09:17 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 05:53:31 AM »
I normally take most of the month of december off anyhow.  between deer rifle season along with the holidays it does not leave a lot of time for hunting.  I will be hunting this week though tonight friday night and saturday night and maybe a few mornings in there depending on the weather.  thanksgiving is my major pred hunting time. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 05:54:13 AM »
Suggest that you stay off of public lands at night during this period too if your hunting predators legally....Sometimes I just hang up the predator night hunting for that period because of all the nuts out there thinking they have just broken a big poaching case ALONE..Take action without asking questions and disrupt a legal hunt that is going on....Best thing to do if you want to hunt....I do this....I hunt private lands since they, the farmers know it's me and not some nut poaching...However you have to watch out for those rightious neighbors of the farmer.......Especaially the ones that might pound nails in your tires thinking they are helping stop a deer poacher...Here they are breaking the law.....

Actually by hunting at night.....you could end up turning in a poacher if you stumble upon them...So you are helping the wardens stop the SLOB hunters....

Good suggesting
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:33:24 PM »
In my area, most night time poarchers lay low during rifle season.
Many day time road hunter poachers during rifle season.

During rifle Deer season many Fox and Coyote get displaced or pushed to areas with  little to no Deer hunting pressure. Yes there is a spot or two or three in your home area that this happens.
If you know of a spot like this, the next 2 weeks is prime time to work these short lived, hot spots.

I experiened this movement, years back while friends & I were driving a Goldrod, Briar & Shumac area the 2nd week of Buck season. I pulled my Fox traps 12 days ago. I walked by a few old sets and all were dug or fresh droppings left. Fresh Droppings and Tracks were abundant in this small, overgrown, isolated area.
I waited until the Saturday after the 3 day Doe season to reset this mouth watering hot spot.
I slammed in 4 sets and waited and waited.
Day 9 I pulled the sets. No fresh sign, no Fox catches, my tail was between my legs. What the heck happened?

The next trapping season was a repeat at this location.
Caught Fox early.
Pulled traps for Deer season.
Deer season...Fox Ahoy!
After Deer season...No Fox.
It was at this time I came to the conclusion the Fox were being pushed to this iolated, non-pressured area untill deer season was over.
This took me 2 seasons to learn and the 3rd season to apply heavy trapping and calling methods at this limited hot spot during the 2 1/2 week deer season.

Offline DEER TAG

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
The way i read it in the digest you could hunt sundays during daylight. because its not legal hunting hours for deer. 

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 08:24:10 PM »
I just had a conversation with an outdoorsman...He told me that he thought that you can hunt all predators in the daytime now if you are wearing orange and have a furtakers license...Seems that the law might have been changed when PPHA stopped the PGC from having us wear orange all the time.  Looks like I am going to be looking in the digest to see if I can find anything like this....

I just wanted to pass this on to everyone after I said that you can't hunt fox in the daytime during the regular season.   Do we have any PG deputies on her or PG wardens that can confirm this????

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 08:56:56 PM »
Confirming:

Page 9 Hunting:  Bobcats:  It is unlawful to HUNT and TRAP bobcat during the legal hunting hours of the regular antlered and antlerless deer season.

Page 74 Furtaking Season & Bag Limits

Para:  Bold Letters Oppussums, Skunks, & Weasels may NOT be hunted on Sundays and prior to noon during the spring gobbler season and along with FOXES & RACCOONS, not during the legal hunting hours of the regular antlered and anterless deer season.

So it's still a game law violation if you hunt furbearing animals during the regular gun deer season hunting hours with the exception of coyotes.
what is interesting is that you can not even trap bobcats during this period?????????
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:58:17 PM by uncle buck »