Author Topic: Deer hunted with a 22 caliber Partition Bullet?  (Read 3262 times)

uncle buck

Deer hunted with a 22 caliber Partition Bullet?
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:22 PM »
How many of you have harvested a deer using a 22 caliber center fire rifle?   New tech. now in the bullet industry.....Nosler now make a Partition bullet for 22 caliber center fire guns that will kill deer.

I know of a few hunters who have used 22250's, 222, and 223 to kill deer.  All reloaded and did not use varmint bullets when hunting deer with the 22 center fires......

If I was going to hunt deer with 22 I would first have to see how the new 60 grain Nosler Partition bullet shoots (accurate). Group 1 inch or better at 100 yards.  Anything larger then this would not be acceptable until the right powder was found.   I would use a 22250 Encore because of the rate of twist...many say the 22250 shoot the new 60 grain Nosler Partition well...

On the positive side the nosler 60 grain Partition bullet could turn out to be an excellent coyote bullet too... Suppose no one would know that until they turned over a coyote to see what the other side of the shoulder looked like after shooting one....

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Deer hunted with a 22 caliber Partition Bullet?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Ive killed one with a Hornet right thru the boiler room with factory fodder and it was dead in 50 yds.  Also shot a doe with a 223 also thru the boiler room and with factory ammo and she only went about 75 yds.  In the right hands I wouldnt hesitate using a 22 centerfire for deer.  I shot one with a 7mm and it went over 250 yds.  So now the biggest cartridge I use for deer is the 257 (what a sweetheart that is).  One of my buddies uses his Model 77 Hornet for everything and I dont feel he is undergunned within 200 yds.  Shoot Ive killed foxes with mine out to 275 and never had an issue

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
In regards to the 7MM.......They say that the 6.5 X 55  Swede and  the 6.5 BRM are probably one of the best deer calibers... They are of medium velocity...So when they hit with their 140 grain bullets they are going slower then other calbiers.. So they do more damage going slower and because of the Ballistics of the 140 grain 6.5 bullet. Where the faster larger caliber bullets go through the deer to fast.....   
This could be why the deer ran 275 yards even after it was hit with the 7MM.....I do like to use the 3006....I  don't like to use anything over 150 grains for deer in the 06....Never had a problem with the 150 grain Speer spitzer boattail in all of my 06's.  Even factory I stick with the 150 grainers...
However when I do use the 243....I only use Partition 95 grain Spitzer and they do kill deer dead... Hence if I was going to use the 22250 it would have to be the Partition 60 grain bullet since it will mushroom......

A.P. Brown a distributor for the Encore barrels  explains the 6.5 Swede and 6.5 BRM how it works on deer compared to the bigger faster calibers.....

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
Here is the info on the 6.5 Caliber in regards of whay a medium velocity caliber is better then a larger faster caliber.

http://www.eabco.com/Reports/report03.html

Offline coyotelord

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 02:36:21 PM »
I purchased a .260 Remington last spring but have yet to hunt or kill deer with it.  I'm looking forward to eventually harvesting one with it.  Chuck Hawks also talks up the .260/6.5 caliber rifles on his site.  I've also seen many other people lauding their killing power.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »
i killed one with the .260 rem and it dropped it within 20 yards.