Author Topic: Heat  (Read 2977 times)

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Heat
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »
How is your wood pile holding up? I puta new alaska rice stoker in last year ,works great. It is burning some coal this last 6 weeks. I still miss the wood but this stoker does a good job. We still have a good 6 weeks to go. However it is to warm up next week.
Mountain dog

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Heat
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
gone through a cord and a half already. spent the last two evenings in the woods behind the house cutting some downed trees up...should get another cord and a half from that. plus a friend of mine in Perry county has free wood for me...just need to drive out and get it.

my woodstove hase been running continuously since Christmas Eve...the wind since then has sure taken a toll on my wood pile...woodstove has been hungry lately... ;D but it can stay hungry all it wants...my electric bill last month was $30  ;D ;D

i'm thankful though...all my heat this winter has been free except for when i turn on the baseboards a smidge while i'm at work.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
got rid of the woodstove last year and replaced it with a pellet stove.  i can honestly say i do not miss the work that goes with the wood stove, seven years was enough for me. 

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
We heat the house here with oil, and we do have a pellet stove...I doubt we have had used that pellet stove in 5 years pluse...reason is, around here pellets were cheaper than oil, and it was helping the wallet a bit...we still ran oil but we didnt' have to use as much...now pellets cost too much and its all about the same here in harrisburg, so no cleaning of the pellet stove, and just oil furnace heat for now...looking for a woodstove for the "deer cabin" we have just leased...heard I can get a brand new chunk stove from tractor supply for 150 bucks
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:17:32 AM »
way back when oil was expensive....Back oh I say during the Carter Administration....  I put one of them Multifuel stoves in...The thing attached to my furnace... It burned saw dust, wood, phone books,  peat, and of course coal...I  like to use the stove coal..The coal that was the size of your fist.  I had to pay about $79.00 for a ton of coal...However wow did it heat the house and I did save big bucks on the oil bill too.  Then in 2000 We ripped out the oil furnace forced out air and put in natural gas forced hot air...Do miss the warmer house with the coal..However I was always down there poking the ash off the bottom of the coals and removing many pails of ashes...  Funny house seemed like it was summer time.. Also house was not quite insulated as good as it is now...I put R39 factor insulation up in the attic.  However back then using the coal.. We never had ice or snow on top of our ranch house.... Now the house also has all new windows in it.... Place is warm with the gas and so far my gas bills are a lot cheaper then other years.... Sure glad I do not have electric heat, oil, and coal too.  Since using the wood and the coal sure made me work to save fuel $$$$$$$$

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »
We have gas and oil.
Several years ago, I installed a gas insert into the fire place.
I still cut wood and enjoy all parts of wood cutting.
Always limbs or tree fallen around hear to keep our family in 'camp wood'.
Our families do burn wood during the summer months in back yard 'fire rings'.
So I stock pile wood out back and family members take what they need, when they want it.
I took off work today (Friday) to do some things (morning). I called the nephew (Johnny) and said, Friday and Saturday we are cutting some 'camp wood'. He said, 'I'll be there, let's go to Breakfast first...LOL'
My sister lives across the road from us. She has a medium tree she wants down, so Johnny and I'll work that up this afternoon.
I'll post some pictures later this evening. It's nice to have a college age nephew to help...LOL Johnny's brother, Ray was home on the holidays from the Marines. So Ray, Johnny and I cut and worked up 3 trees, plus Rabbit hunted, predator called and trapped over the holidays.

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 07:55:47 AM »
Electric baseboard and a coal/wood stove in basement. Last year I added 2 Eden Pure heaters which are great.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
Nephew, Johnny, and I worked up some camp wood today.
Johnny work'n a log...

I like to split and cut...

Johnny work'n on limb wood...

Done for the day...