Author Topic: Golden Chanterelle may be 3 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule  (Read 4714 times)

uncle buck

Golden Chanterelle may be 3 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »
Normally around July 12 I start to find Golden Chanterelle.  However everything that grows seems to be about 3 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule this year...So keep an eye out in Penns Woods early this year if your a Golden Chanterelle hunter..

Even the spider orange Tiger Lillies that grow in July are blooming already...

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Golden Chanterelle may be 3 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »
UB, do you have a picture of what they look like?  I would like to try and find some of them.  Also any tips would be appreciated.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
Notice that they are on the forest floor not on any stumps, wood, branches.. That is important..
Hopefully I can add more pictures to this post but if I can't it will add more post..

Always cut shrooms off with a knife.. Never pull up.. See the little green plant in the picture.. Kind of like Teeberry. You find that in the woods your going to have a good chance to find Golden Chanterelle

See it looks like a gold leaf on the forest floor not on any wood what so ever.

Notice the gills on these speciemens of Golden Chanterelle .. See real easy to ID.

Again notice this one is on what? The Forest Floor.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:05:17 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
With my luck i'll pick and eat a poison mushroom.

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »
Foxpro 51 if you pick them off stumps, wood etc you will. That be Jack O Lanterns and they are poisonous.. Won't kill you but you will be real sick in the stomach if you eat Jack O Lanterns...However if you looked at a Golden chanterelle and a Jack O Lantern the gills are different.. Gills on a Jack O Lantern look like regular mushroom gills.. the gills on a Chanterelle look like raised gills.. and are a part of the underside of the cap.. Just stay away from any golden mushroom on stumps and you will be OK... Remember FOREST FLOOR.

By the way there is also a black variety of Chanterelle  too...Called Black Trumpets...black trumpets are found along stream and moss... But also will be on the FOREST FLOOR.   Chanterelle smell like Apricots...

By the way fresh Chanterelle in Wegmans cost about $21.00 a pound..

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
See here is the Jack O Lantern that will get you sick..Does not even look like the Golden Chanterelle... Notice in the picture  it's growing on the wood or root of the tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_O%27Lantern_Mushroom

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »
Tim when your out looking for snakes keep an eye out for the Golden Chanterelle..

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
Thanks UB, I noticed the Jack o Lantern has a deeper color also is that the norm?  Can you find oyster mushrooms at this time of the year as well?  Thanks for the pics, it was very helpful.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
Tim the Jack O Lanterns name given will glow in the dark...So yes they have more of an orange look to them...As I always talk about the Jack o Lanterns...They will be on WOOD...The gills will look like regular mushroom gills too....

Yes Oysters come out in the Spring and run all the way into the Fall...Also Chicken Mushrooms which are also to ID are also out now...As the name depicts ...Chicken Mushroom taste like chicken and can be used in replace of real chicken in all kinds of food.  Chicken Mushroom are called Sulfurs too... They do grow on wood and are orange on the top and yellow underneat.. They look like a shell to and you can end up with 30 pounds of them on one old stump...

All mushrooms listed below are easy to ID and are edible:
Your Oyster Mushrooms:

Your Chicken Mushrooms:

Your Hen of The Woods or AKA Sheep Heads:

Cauliflower mushrooms

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
Wow! Nice Pics.  Thanks.  I may look for some this weekend if I get done with the honey do list.