Author Topic: How too Articles Need To Truly Say How To Do It  (Read 2723 times)

uncle buck

How too Articles Need To Truly Say How To Do It
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
Authors.......That put predator calling how to articles and books on the street that say Jack!!!!!

Does the same thing prevail with articles and how to books that pertain to equipment too? Is that what we as caller have to do about books and articles? "Let That Buyer Beware?"
$4.50 to $8.50  for a Jack magazine here...$12.50 for a soft cover Jack book here.  And $29.50 for a Jack hard cover book here starts to add up.
It just does not help any new predator caller.  I wish they would make the title of these articles:  "All The Jack You wanted To Know About Predator Hunting.'  Then I would not feel so bad..
For Example:  I remember an author writing an article on the New 17 Fireball...The author admitted that he did not own one..  However he said something to the effect that it probably or would be a good predator calling gun.. Sounded like the guy did not even own a 17 Rem either.. See things like this...articles that are written and published in books and magazines for brand new predator callers to read and learn from...
The reader of this article could:  Buy a 17 Fireball and then find out he did not like it.  Or it could give the reader a sense  of not too good of a positive feed back on the 17 Fireball and never buy one because the author had no proof that it was good but said probably..

From time to time when you read a good article or a good book on calling or shooting...Share it with people on here.
I suppose? How Can You Tell If An Article Is Any Good Unless You Read Jack?

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: How too Articles Need To Truly Say How To Do It
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »
i once read somewhere the worse way to pick a rifle calibler is to read about it in a magazine and go buy it.  guess that holds true for the most part.   

i was very disappointed in the article in the a recent magazine about decoys, that article should have be titled "Decoys and not jack about how and when to use them"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:13:16 PM »
you will find most magazines won't tell ya everything.  most are very basic.  not many people give up their secrets.  if they would then everyone would know.  I know the biggest things I see with some people while hunting they screw up with the little things not the big things.  noise and talking is the big ones.  this sunday I think if I would have had a feather dancer out there I might have held that greys attention and would have had a better shot opportunity for example. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »
Most magazines are the same. They create conflicting stories to keep you buying them in a quest for "the new knowledge". My muscle mags are the same way. One month it will say to stay away from hi rep sets for size while next months cover will read "Hi reps! the new mass workout". When I went to purchase my varmint rifle the new 204 just came out. I couldn't find enough info to convince me to stray from a tried and true pre existing caliber. So I went with the 223. I almost bought it just because it was new.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »
I hate the articles that let say "Talk In the Third Party!".  Such was the one about pushing the 17 Fireball but they admitted that they did not even own one yet....

there was a time I got so frustrated with the Jack...that I decided that I would only buy hard or soft cover how too books instead of obtainig scbscritptions to magazines.. I figure at leat I would start a  hunting and fishing libray this way....
However even books and video can be Jack too...

Some of these guys should be writing how too book instead of hunting books. A book entitled:  "How To Get People To Buy Jack And Gain Big $$$$$$!"   

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »
If you been around long enough and read enough, articles will come around again in time. May be a little twist, but the same story.

I do get several trapping magazines, how many article do you think can be wrote about 'a dirt hole set'....LOL.
One thing I don't like to see...I purchase a book from an experienced caller or trapper, then 6 months later he's write'n an article in a magazine about the 'core features' of his book! Or he's write'n a series of articles, passages from his book. A book I spent my money on to get that information. Dagburn it.

But for what it's worth...articles resurface because of new folks coming into the game, what ever game...hunting, fishing, trapping, hiking, biking...

My all time favorite magazine is Fur-Fish-Game, The Magazine for Practical Outdoorsmen.  All around information.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »
Unclebuck
Everything that people do there is a book or a story to be told. Has been and always will be people there to make money on it no matter what it is. If there was no money to be made on it no matter what it is, it would probably die because no one would spend money on it to farther it or promote it. The key to anything is to read information from people that not only make money from there sport but truly are and always have been a good person. Writing can not change an honest person but making a living can cause them to look at the money end closer. Just make sure the person you buy a book from is a person you would want to hunt with even if he did not write a book. There are quite a few out there that try and keep it real, but money always comes into play even with good people. Just one part of life and always will be. Pick your books just like you would pick friends, very carefully.
I too think Fur Fish and Game is good, but most depends on the writer.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:37:08 PM »
Fur Fish & Game is one of my favorites too...I  actually get my subscription for more then one year since I know I am always going to subscribe to it...However there too.....The articles could be bad or they could be good...Most times they are good and you walk away with some kind of knowledge or entertainment from reading each months issue...  The gadget area of FF&G is good!!!