Author Topic: Something I won't soon forget..  (Read 5455 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Something I won't soon forget..
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:55:04 PM »
So my first night out this month in search of a March Madness coyote went something like this. Get off work Sunday night. Check weather for my "new spot". Perfect NNW wind, cloud cover had it nice and dark and just about 32 degrees. Now "new spot" has been shaping up to be promising. Lots of sign during scouting and trail cams revealed a rather routine coyote visitor making appearances regularly between 5:00 and 6:00am and again between 8:30 and 10:30pm. My timing was going to be perfect. I arrive at spot, and begin making my way towards a ravine several hundred yards across a cut corn field. There are plenty of landscape features to mask my approach and the recent rain had left washouts that provided nice soft dirt to quietly walk in on. How perfect. As I continue to walk and scan, off in the distance, just off of the ravine in which I intend to sit in front of and call from, I spot eyes just over the horizon and moving towards said ravine. I stop to assess the situation and determine the eyes are too wide set to be anything I'm after and I hold up to let what I assume is a deer go about its way and also to not cause any undo commotion. Just like that, the eyes disappear and I continue on to my destination. A bit later I am now approaching the ravine and making my way around it when I hear a rustling to my right coming from just within the mouth of the ditch. I instinctively raise my light in the noises direction and notice a large black mass and almost instantly I realize I am staring at the face of a black bear! One good bluff charge and some jaw popping was all it took for me to vacate the scene rather quickly! Needless to say that concluded my activities for the night and I headed home. So much for my coyote-on-a-string...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:57:04 PM by QUATTRO »
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Something I won't soon forget..
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:11:12 PM »
I was calling fox one night with Bowman,  left the rabbit distress rip and with in minutes, a black bear was eyeing up my call !
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »
I have encountered bears in the wild but never this close and at night...it was pretty intense
PPHA President

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »
Yeah, Jake's called in bear was hungry and didn't want to leave! It started sniffing around the shockwave and all I could see happening was the bear having an expensive snack! I will admit it shook me a bit to be scanning then bam big bear right there! Glad you weren't a bear snack either bud! Hope you tossed those dirty under roo's before you got home.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:47:07 PM »
Yeah, Jake's called in bear was hungry and didn't want to leave! It started sniffing around the shockwave and all I could see happening was the bear having an expensive snack! I will admit it shook me a bit to be scanning then bam big bear right there! Glad you weren't a bear snack either bud! Hope you tossed those dirty under roo's before you got home.

I roll commando!
PPHA President

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »
Lol!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:23 PM »
Way more info than I needed to know!  Lol
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 06:37:07 AM »
Lol

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 07:55:15 AM »
I also had that happen up in Sullivan county near red rock...so now,I have shotgun blast recorders on my caller haven't had to use them yet.lol
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:34:11 AM »
that's when it's nice to have a shotgun loaded with slugs or OO... I always have a heavy gun along in bear country...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 05:51:18 AM »
 :) This just in from "Whun Hang Loh" PPHA Official Chinese Laundrie Mat and Delicatesunn!!  ;) Camn remove ugwie brown stain from shorts in 10 minnie   :o  while you wait  ::) :-[ :P   Free tea and fortune cookie  ;D for 1st ten customers  ;D ;D ;D ;D............... 8).........Quattro... NO need to go "Commando" ever again on a cold night   ::) we have you covered....in "BARE" country!!  ::) :-[ ::) :P :-[ ::)................. lol..........

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:12 AM »
Called in a bear for the Monko brothers  a while back.
Also had one climbing the tree I was bowhunting in. Stunk something awful.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »
Called in a bear for the Monko brothers  a while back.
Also had one climbing the tree I was bowhunting in. Stunk something awful.

was that the bear or your drawers?...

when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
I have so many bears here, I even dream about  em,
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »
Was out this morning with a buddy to this same location to do some calling. The latest trail cam pictures have now revealed a pair of coyotes visiting together..usually between 5 and 6..the conditions were ideal and we were feeling confident... Well, long story short, we got skunked..so we decided to loop around and check the cams and just do a look around for any new sign.. we immediately found new scat and tracks and we were hoping the cameras did not reveal any coyote activity from around the time we were there...which it didn't. There were several pictures from last night and a final image from 1 am but no activity after. Anyhow, it was now bright with morning sun and as we headed back to my truck I glanced over to see a familiar sight..here comes this black bear barreling into the cut corn field from the powerline. He was at one point coming directly towards us but quickly changed directions and just kept on trucking. My buddy was able to snap a few pictures with his phone. I was just happy he saw it since he was absent from the prior nights experience.
PPHA President