Author Topic: Close but not close enough  (Read 1674 times)

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Close but not close enough
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »
Gained a new property to hunt this week. Went out wedsnesday night. Strated out with pup distress, then went silent. After about 6-8 minutes had a coyote sound of out in front of us. I'm guessing maybe 3-400 hundred yards at  most,this is based off of that the field I was hunting has a wooded patch in the middle which is about 600yds long maybe 80yds wide at its widest point. So after 1 short cerinad by Wiley coyote I remained silent for several more minutes. Continued to scan hoping to catch some eyes roaming the the edge of the field, but nothing.  So after no eyes, no more howling tried a little mouse squeaking and still nothing.  Stayed another 35 minute grand total 50 minutes,tried some more pup distress and some female vocalization in those 35 min with no results. Not sure how I should've played,but I do know I didn't want to get into a karaoke battle with it(I would lose) The wind was good, I suppose he could have got down wind of me undetected and busted me anything possible. What would you have done differently?

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: Close but not close enough
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
Fifty minutes one stand, why not five stands for ten minutes or three stands for fifteen minutes?  The more stands you make the more area you cover and your odds increase. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: Close but not close enough
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 12:29:49 PM »
I don't normally stay that long, but since a coyote made his presence known, I was hoping if I stuck around a little longer he'd show himself. Didn't work out that way :-\
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:17:13 PM by chiefz28 »