Author Topic: Hunting Boots (cold weather)  (Read 4127 times)

Offline DaveD4

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Hunting Boots (cold weather)
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
Ok, so my Danner boots are over 20 years old (man they make good boots) and now I am looking for my next set.

I came across Kenetrek (expensive) and was wondering what everyone else uses, have bought in the past, what you like about them or dislike about them. 

Any opinions are much appreciated!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hunting Boots (cold weather)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
I love my muck woody maxs
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline DaveD4

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »
Ben,

Thanks, looks like a great knee high boot, 60 to -40F, breathable and lightweight.  How do they hold up on rough terrain?  I have had problems with the neoprene (or rubberized) boots before on rocks. 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »
+1 what ben said.  I have a pair of artic pros by muck.  Light weight good gripping and warm.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline DaveD4

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
Thanks Tim, I will give them a good look.  Some of these other boots are extremely expensive.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
 Im a Mucks fan.
I did see that Ben wore shin chaps over them when busting through brush

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »
I am a big Mickey Mouse fan. Feet never gets cold. Two winters ago was out hunting at night and was testing some ice to cross a creek well I went in. Dumped out the water then ringed out my dress sock and was able to do two more stands before I quite hunting for the night. Now if I had a boot that had thinulate or and type of cloth material on the inside I probably would of been done. It was very cold out that night.

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »
I also like the Muck Woody Max,they do not breathe at all tho

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
frogg toggs.good traction,warm and durable but like most neoprene they don't breath very well.

Offline DaveD4

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
All good info, gives me a place to start!  Thanks!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »
i use the muck suv for rabbits hunting and in the early predators season.  i use the muck master for archery, deer hunting, and icefishing.  forrest has a pair of danners for small game and a pair of muck artic pro for the rest. 

Offline jake80

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »
I have been using lacrosse alpha lites, though I got the uninsulated ones. I have had them for 3yrs now and they are still going strong. They have a neoprene side, rubber front with ridges on it for brush. I wear them all yr round, in early archery just wear a under armor sock, in winter I wear same sock and a wool winter sock. As far as terrain: snow they provide great traction, ice they are ok, rocks they provide excellant grip, my father has danners and he will walk around a exposed rock, as to where I just walk over it.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Notheran Outfitters have great boots. There so warm you only wear a very light cotton sock in them.

Offline Jake

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »
I used Matterhorn in the Army, Great boot that Last. Some others had Danner Boots we where at mountain training After a Heavy rain all day and moving through heavy May apples above your boots, in the evening The ones with the Danner boots there Socks where Soak , Mine where as dry as when I put them on, Feet stayed Warm dry, Nice Gortex Mountain Boot
It is, What it Is.