Author Topic: Gut piles and predator hunting  (Read 1972 times)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Gut piles and predator hunting
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
How many hold off until after deer season to hunt predators due to all the deer gut piles in the woods?

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: Gut piles and predator hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:45:14 AM »
I sit and wait for the local yotes to find'm...natural bait
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

Re: Gut piles and predator hunting
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:24 PM »
If anything if I were going to hunt during deer season at night it would be on chosen private land.  No way would I hunt public lands at night during deer season...Syndromes...So many righteous people think they are going to bust a slob hunter for killing a illegal deer...They don't think and they take actions first. Then they hurt someone that is hunting legal...Then on the news out comes the crying towels to the media.. Who Jack is a good boy, he just didn't take his medication, etc etc.. In the mean time there is the legal hunter family now not having a provider during the holiday season...

As far a gut piles.. So many varmints and raptors out there that the gut piles probably don't last long anyway.  Possums will even clean them up.

I once was told that the coyotes wait near by the gut piles and dead Caron and eat all the other critters that come in to feast... Also cold temps the piles and Caron freeze fast...Coyotes don't want frozen Caron...They want that fresh stuff that's easy pickins when they, the smaller varmints come in to eat the Caron..

Dennis Kirk once wrote...That....predator hunters should travel along the turnpike and INT since deer that are hit get to the bushes and die.. The coyotes are traveling all along the INT because of the dead animals that just make it to the edge...He did caution to let the Highway Patrol or State Police know that your hunting along the sides of the interstate so your not hassled.. What does a INT hunter do...Look for blood on the road and then pull over to the side and call.  Actually if you hunt where the Deer Crossing signs are along the INT Government could be telling you where  most of the deer are being killed.  So much so that they put signs up as a warning to motorist.. 

Let me give you a good example of where you probably could do this...Pa Northeast Extension of the Pa Turnpike.. The area from Wilkes-Barre Bear Creek exchange to Mt Pocono exchange.  A state park (Hickory Run) runs right along the turnpike there..You get  permission to park there from the Pa State Police you could hunt right there at that state park..