Author Topic: Today's Turkey Hunt (Story, Pics, & Vids)  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
Today's Turkey Hunt (Story, Pics, & Vids)
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »
Got up this morning at 4:30. I was really debating weather I really wanted to go or not. I went to sleep at 12:30 and didn't get much sleep. But I thought I am going to do it. So I got ready and me and my dad headed out the door at 4:45. We set up our Double Bull blind at an edge of a plowed field where we had seen turkeys in friday evening. So we got situated in the blind and got ready. I just knew something was going to happen this morning.

Day started to break and the gobblers started to let loose all around us. After my dad did a bit of tree calling and came out, he did some more calling and one gobbled right behind us. So we waited for about 15-20 minutes and then I could hear wings flapping behind me. So I got the gun up and was ready for action....but nothing to show.

My dad called off and on and around 8:30 he spotted 2 birds in the woods beside us coming toward the field. I got the gun up and ready. Now these birds were in a blind spot for me so I couldn't see them at all. They were coming to the decoys and all the sudden, they took off the other way. We called to them, they came back again but as soon as they came back, they took off again! We were wondering what was going on here. There was a couple squirrels barking when they came in, we don't know if that effected them or not.

An hour later, a gobbler across the field from us was gobbling his head off. We called to him and every time he gobbled, it would get closer. Then all the sudden I blinked and in the other field I could see a big red head. He just stood there for awhile looking at the decoys. He was about 50 yards from us. I would have taken the shot but didn't have a clear shooting lane. So he stood there for a minute or two and then Zooom! He bolted outta there! We were starting to wonder if the decoys were spooking these turkeys.

It was 9:45 and I was about to say I wanted to leave at 10 but my consious kept me on my butt.

About a half hour later I could hear something in the leaves behind me. I thought it was a squirrel at first but had to look to be sure. I peaked out the window and not 2 feet from the blind stood a hen. I had my video camera and figured the hen was the only turkey there so I got my camera out and was going to start to film. You guys wouldn't believe how close she was to the blind. I wish I would have gotten some footage. Anyway, as I turning on the camera, I heard the leaves crunching again. I peaked around the screen in the blind and there he was at full strut but the only thing I could really focus on was his beard. As big as my eyes got, I'm suprised they didn't pop out at him.I gave the camera to my dad and told him to roll the tape but as much as he was shaking, he couldn't do it,lol. He came toward us spittin and drumming. At this point he was within 6 feet of the blind which was a bad sceniero at full strut. As he was coming toward us I was thinking "please go the other way!!" and he made a U turn and went straight to the decoys. He made it up to the hen decoy and went full strut again. I couldn't see him out the window for a good steady shot so I waited. He moved closer to the decoy and stopped still fully fanned out. I don't know if he saw me moving or not but that long ol neck straightned out and as I am turning the saftey off I am thinking "figure 8 under the eye". As I was thinking it, I did it and kaboom!! He fell right back on his butt and started the death flop. I quickly turned the saftey on and got the camera to video tape. I only got a little clip of the after shot but my oh my, what a feeling seeing him come in like that and then seeing him flop after the gun cracks!! It's priceless.

It was a BEAUTIFUL morning for hunting turkeys. And I am so thankful I got to bag this bird.

Good luck to all the rest of the season!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niigc8SWBtg

":":"DuffMan":":"
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:58:39 PM »
Duff,

Great story.  That's quite a bit of action all at one spot.  I really like the video.  Congrats to you and your dad.   8)

bootmud

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:23:46 PM »
Thanks BM. Yes there was a bit of action. I was about to go kick those decoys because I thought they were causing the other turkeys to spook, but it wasn't that I don't think. We still don't know why they spooked..strange...

This was a good spot. I have killed a turkey at this same spot before and so did my dad. I'm not even sure if my uncle did also. We have seen a good many birds there. I can't wait until next saturday to go with my dad so I can film him if he gets a shot at one.

I wish I had the camera on when the hen came up beside the blind. You wouldn't believe how close they get!!
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »
Good job Duffman.
Great story and pictures.
Congratulations.

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »
Congratulations!  Nice bird and video.

BP

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »
Good story D-man! Congrats.

longhair

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:01:09 PM »
Way to go !!!  :wink:

Offline yotebuster

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.critterbuster.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:36:37 AM »
Very cool 8) ....
--dave dunbar
http://www.CritterBuster.com
Predator Calls With An Attitude!

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
Cool vid, congrats on the Turkey.
Sore Lip 'Em All -- Catch & Release

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »
Awesome job and story Duffman.  Great job.