Author Topic: Happy but not happy! Grey!  (Read 4455 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Happy but not happy! Grey!
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »
I wanna first start out by saying, last night was beautiful. I went out a little early (10pm) last night. After two days of wasting bobber lights on my shotgun with little use, I decided to save the ones I had and take the 22mag out for a change. Instead of doing the normal route that I do, I went backwards. I always start out at these two places either way because they are off the beaten path from being spot lighted. I parked at the one farm gas well road and walked the entire length of the property to get to the area where I killed my coyote this summer. The moon was so bright that I found myself having to set up right next to the standing corn for cover and shade. I started with some deer mouse squeaks from my Flextone Mimic and watched some deers eyes in the woods. I switched my sound to adult cottontail, starting and stopping every 10 seconds or so and heard the sound of a fox directly behind me. I turned around and it was there at 10 yards and it was a grey. I couldn't do anything since I had a rifle and was facing the other way. I went against my better judgement and moved slightly and used Johnny Stewarts Greyfox pup that I added to my FX5. I wanted to come back with a shotgun but was to eager to try to go home with a fox and proceeded to call. Low and behold, it worked. I heard the fox running through the woods but I couldn't find it. Then finally I see the eyes and it was 20 yards away on the same logging road I was on. I turning on my Kill Lite 250 and it spooked. I tried to take a shot as soon as this happend and missed. This has been the norm for me and turning on my Kill Lite and scaring them at close distances. So, I am very happy that I called in a grey (that I'm sure of) but I'm mad that I took the wrong gun into the woods. I know greys are aggressive but how long should I wait to go back with a shotgun, now that I know they are there?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:11:13 AM by predator77 »
FayetteNam

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Happy but not happy! Grey!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »
Rule number one.  Always leave your light on.  Switching on and off will spook animals.  I would have let the fox leave without shooting, move fifty or so yards and start calling again.  I have called in the same grey three times already before I shot.  If you don't spook them you can get away with that sometimes with a grey.  Reds, forget about it.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:39:56 AM »
How do you use the bobber lights?  As a sight?  Can you please explain?

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:06:16 AM »
i did this for years before the coyote lights came out.  with a coyote light you don't need them but if you don't use a headlight you can you the bobber light.  sporting goods stores care a replaceable bobber light, they come in orange, green, or yellow.   you take the bobber light when you first get it and use a black marker to dull the light (put a good coat on) second take some vet wrap tape (Tractor Supply) and attach the light to your barrel of your shotgun infront of your bead.  makesure you leave the light part uncovered so you can turn it on and off.  once you turn it on for the night leave it on,  the batteries last a long time.   they cost $3 or $4 bucks each.  I know Dicks Sporting Goods carry them. 

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
How do you use the bobber lights?  As a sight?  Can you please explain?
I use these style. I get them for $4.00 for four of them at WalMart. I line them up with my front bead and center it on the other end of the light. I use two tooth picks to keep it centered and straight since the tape makes a teepee and has some play. I'm able to see all in the beads this way and the glow slick helps out greatly.

FayetteNam

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »

This is how this story ends.. I went back to the same field but decided to call before going in as far the set. I sat down on a narrow strip between standing corn and a timbered old thicket. I used my Primos mouse squeaker and baybee cottontail. After about 12 minutes I got up and proceeded to where I originally wanted to hunt (that field corner). In my approach I seen a fox coming towards me with the quick bouncing they are known for. I thought that it winded me because it disappeared and went towards the corn. It appeared in the same narrow strip I was on and coming from the way I just moved from bu coming towards me. I didn't have my Kill Lite on and didn't want to scare it again, so I tuned my headlamp to the left a little (since I'm right handed) just like when I used to shotgun hunt alot and was able to catch him in my scope. I took a standing freehand shot with my 22mag and heard him scream as he jumped and ran into the corn. It went silent for about a minute and then I heard it take off again. I proceeded to the other side on the corn in case I could get another shot, but none was offered. I thought it was over because I seen no blood or hair where the fox originally was. I pulled out the white flashlight and walked perpendicular to the corn rows like the fox did and about 9 rows in the fox was laying there. I guess that burst was a final attempt to escape the inevitable.
FayetteNam

Offline Grass Stain

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
nice job Ian!!!
"Live Life for what tomorrow has to offer,Not for what yesterday has taken away!"

D.Sapko
District 6

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:30:21 PM »
Thanks Del.
FayetteNam

Offline Musky73

• PPHA Members