Author Topic: Onion Snow  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Onion Snow
« on: April 08, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
from the Farmers Almanac:

“Onion snow” is a term particular to the state of Pennsylvania originated by the Pennsylvania Dutch culture and language, and refers to a snowfall that occurs after the spring onions have been planted, and comes right as they are sprouting.  Others say that this late spring snow is an indicator for when it’s a good time to start planting onions. Either way, the snowfall is defined as light and melts quickly, and is usually the final snowfall before the end of the spring season.

With many parts of the country getting snow well into springtime, it makes perfect sense that specific regions would have their own colloquial terms for snows that hit around the time of planting crops.

Another late-spring snow term to originate from the Pennsylvania Dutch is a “sapling bender,” referring to when it snows heavily in the spring, bending the branches of the new saplings.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Onion Snow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »
 ;) ;) Thanx Hern...sapling bender I had not heard of  ??? ??? ???
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
Interesting    Thanks Hern
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:25:51 AM »
 :) “sapling bender,”  :) Here I thought that was a term applied to the Archaic practice of attitude adjustment by application of external force  ::)  For example: "Goose's" Mom bent a sapling over the Goose's ass in an attempt to realign his wayward attitude!  :o ......I mean I don't need an Almanac to see that happening... :P :P :P.............. 8) 

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:30:52 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D How much you willing to pay to see that?  ??? ??? ??? ??? Maybe Mom and I can work out a split... :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:40:42 AM »
 :) I'm sure this never occurred to you  ??? but maybe I can undercut you and Mom and I can work out a deal  ;D ;D ;D.......... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Nah...hurry up cause she is drivin to Carolina on Wednesday  :P :P :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member