Author Topic: Pennsylvanians for hunting on Sunday  (Read 15810 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Pennsylvanians for hunting on Sunday
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
But!  ;) What if I was a camera buff who liked to take pictures of wildlife...and I said ok I'm for Sunday hunting..... I'm also a taxpayer and would like some use of the fields and forest to pursue my hobby. So! I propose that hunting be allowed everywhere Mon. thru Fri. and on Sat. and Sun. you can only hunt on SGL's and private property open to hunting....and the rest of us birders, hikers, camera buffs get to use State Forest lands and Parks and private ground (opposed to hunting)which would be closed to hunting on weekends. Stand right up there and offer this compromise with the media in attendance...could end up worse than some think it is now.... 8)

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »
UB,

First off please do not take this personal, but!!

Could you please give me a count of the coon, bobcat, weasel, skunks and possum that you shot (while hunting not trapping) this past season. Then please tell me how many more of each species you could possibly harvest this year if you could hunt them on Sunday's also.

This organization is barking up the wrong tree with their approach and I will not support it.

To comment on your last comment, Yes the PPHA is supposed to be for improving predator hunting in PA.
So lets see some support and actually have the PPHA go to legislature for some improvements in Predator hunting.
There is plenty of issues that could be fought for and as far as I know there is not a single legal issue that the PPHA is trying to change at this time. I may be totally wrong by saying that, but if I am then someone please tell me.

Here is a list of changes that I feel the PPHA should be fighting for to improve predator hunting in PA.

1. Mentored youth to be allowed to hunt all fur bearers instead of just coyote. (As it stands now I can take a mentored youth hunting at night and if a fox, raccoon, opossum, skunk or weasel responds to the calling set the youth cannot legally shoot it.)

2. Recombine bobcat hunting and trapping seasons. (Trappers have first dibbs on cats and this is not fair)

3. Create a hunting season for fisher. (Fisher will respond to distress calls and they can be legally trapped, so why not a hunting season?)

4. Legalization of bait and electronic decoys for crows. (Crows cause alot of damage to small game and nesting bird populations, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act only regulates how seasons are held and places no regulation on decoys or the use of bait.

5. Allow hunting of coyote durring Spring turkey hours with furbearer license. (Just like deer season you should be able to hunt coyote with a furbearers license if you turkey tags are already filled.

When you get these 5 accomplished then contact me and ill give you another 5 that are way more important that hunting coon, bobcat, weasel, skunks and possum on Sunday's.

Jeremiah
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:10:57 PM by Whiteknuckle »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
I think its time for someone to step up and help fight your issues jeremiah. You availible.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »
Ben,
First off these should not only be my issues. Anybody who cares about the future of predator hunting in PA should be able to see the importance of these issues.

Second if I was available I would have ran for one office or another in the PPHA. I did not because I realize that I do not have the time to do so. But I have in the past support this organization that should be taking the time to fight for something. I was just making a point to UB that there are way more important things that should be fought for than sunday hunting of coon, bobcat, opossum, and weasel.

And since you seem to want to pass the buck to me since I brought up the truth please answer me this question. Seriously, what is the PPHA fighting for right now? This is not my job to step up, I did not accept any office in the organization or even ask for one. The organized officers of this organization need to step up and fight for something that will benefit predator hunters in this state. 

Jeremiah

uncle buck

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
Now retired and hunting predators 27 years now I hunt Sunday nights all the time for fox and coyotes. Yes I have called in coon on Sunday nights. I also see skunks and possums on Sundays too but you just can't shoot them if you desire. Truly what is important for one is not important for others. That's a person right!

Even on non Sunday hunts I don't shoot coon, skunks and possums. However some Pennsylvania hunters would like too . I'm saying this is a chance for PPHA to get yet another privilege for Pa Predator Hunters.

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 10:56:43 PM »
Because this isn't about hunting predators....that can already be done

And to quote Forrest Gump...."And thats about all I have to say about that"
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »

And since you seem to want to pass the buck to me since I brought up the truth please answer me this question. Seriously, what is the PPHA fighting for right now? This is not my job to step up, I did not accept any office in the organization or even ask for one. The organized officers of this organization need to step up and fight for something that will benefit predator hunters in this state. 

Jeremiah

First off tim has asked for volunteers in the past and no one has stepped up. Its obvious you dont know the time commitments it takes to fight in harrisburg. Those that have volunteered their time thus far have dedicated time to the ppha as much as they are physically able. And if you feel froggy about calling people out maybe you ought to jump. JMO.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 06:30:32 PM »
Ben,
So I take it by your answer that nothing is being fought for by the current administration, or is going to be fought for durring their term.

I have been a law enforcement officer for over 12 years and I "DO" know the time it takes to fight for something in legislature(most likely way better than you). Once again I did not run for an office in the PPHA for a reason. That reason is I acknowledge that I do not physically have the time need to put into this.

I started commenting to this post with straight up truth and made recommendations of better law changes to fight for than Sunday hunting. Because of this you have turned this into a passing the buck contest. This will be my last post about this subject, but I do feel that the PPHA needs to get back to the meaning behind the organization and that is fighting for improvement in predator hunting in PA. People seem to have the time to organize picinics, snake hunts, fishing trips, camp outs and calling contests that only benefit a very small percentage of the PPHA membership. Though there is no time to organize and commit to something that does not involve fun for those involved.

I have not renewed my membership this year due to waiting to see of things were going to change, but I guess they are not. I will not be renewing my membership and I will also take my sponsorship dollars elsewhere if things do not change.

Good luck with the approach of if you want something done then go do it yourself. I think this system will get you really far.

Jeremiah 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »
I started commenting to this post with straight up truth and made recommendations of better law changes to fight for than Sunday hunting. Because of this you have turned this into a passing the buck contest. This will be my last post about this subject, but I do feel that the PPHA needs to get back to the meaning behind the organization and that is fighting for improvement in predator hunting in PA. People seem to have the time to organize picinics, snake hunts, fishing trips, camp outs and calling contests that only benefit a very small percentage of the PPHA membership. Though there is no time to organize and commit to something that does not involve fun for those involved.

I think that is the first time I ever heard of a person complaining about a volunteer putting forth effort to hold events that all members are invited to by the way.  not only a select few.  you obviously have never been to one of these gatherings and really do not understand really what the association is about.  you just don't get it.  and probably never will.   ::)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
Jaspr1
You have some good points. I always like reading your stuff.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline DaveD4

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »
I would love to be able to hunt on sundays due to my kids sports schedules, work deadlines, and family commitments.  I wouldn't mind paying an additional 20 or 30 dollars a year to do this.  It should be put up for a vote.  Right now, I have exactly zero time during the week and Saturdays, unless I want to fall asleep on a saturday night out in some forest at 11pm at night, because I have been running non stop since 5:30am that morning.  Can't shoot what I don't see!  I don't know what everyone's schedule is, but mine is 50-60 hours a week working, an additional 12-15 hours for the kids, not counting the wife, and then any other activities that I can cram in!

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 06:57:30 AM »
Coyotes—
 (During any big game  season)  May be taken while lawfully hunting big game or with a furtaker’s license
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
Concerning this post.  The PPHA is not currently pursuing any issues in legislation nor is the PPHA currently communicating any predator hunting concerns to any organization, State Representative, State Senator, Game and Fisheries Committee or Game Commission.  I simply can not do it alone.  I have asked for help several times but have received none.  Yes, sometimes if you want something done you have to do it yourself.  I have questioned legislators about Sunday hunting, semi-auto's and several other issues as a fact finding mission on my own.  It is my opinion that you do need help in numbers to succeed with these issues and thats were it ends for most.  Why do you think it is that the organizations that are making waves are asking for money?  Big issues take big money!  Heck, every issue takes money!  I could go on forever  but I will stop there.  I am stepping down at the end of my term (September) and I hope others will have better luck than I.   

Uncle Buck is not a PPHA member anymore and does not represent the PPHA but is entitled to his opinion.  Boondock Outdoors sponsorship has expired and is not a current sponsor, however is also entitled to his opinion.  These and others who post on this forum are good people just expressing those opinions.  We are very passionate about predator hunting and it shows.  We would love to have people like this back in our organization, however only if they choose.

"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
Very well said Tim....

Time is a factor to all of us no matter which side of the fence you are on. And always remember that unless we are pushed into a battle, we are volunteers who choose what fights we engage in. If we had the capital and employed numerous people, then I would say why haven't we engaged in an issue to change something.....but that's not the case here.....these folks are VOLUNTEERS ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »
Wow. these negitive posts are very upsetting. Truely a shame for the future of the PPHA, through which, I have met some outstanding people