Author Topic: Pennsylvanians for hunting on Sunday  (Read 15805 times)

uncle buck

Pennsylvanians for hunting on Sunday
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
What they are going to do to get Sunday Hunting is to Sue PA and say it Unconstitutional to not allow hunting on Sunday.
 So if you want Sunday hunting you might want to give a few bucks...

http://www.huntsunday.com/

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Pennsylvanians for hunting on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »
Unclebuck
What kind of track record do these guys have and how much of the donated money will be used for salaries and expences?
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »
They arent no better then the USP then.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
I can already hunt on every Sunday of the year in Pennsylvania.

I would like to know just where in the Constitution it affords the right to hunt on Sundays!?

Seems like a bad way of going about this to me!!

Jeremiah

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
FYI........

Group taking Sunday hunting battle to Pa. Supreme Court
By Bob Frye

Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
Updated 17 hours ago

The fight to bring Sunday hunting to Pennsylvania is not over yet.
A grassroots sportsmen’s coalition called Hunters United for Sunday Hunting is preparing to take the battle to the courts rather than the legislature.
The group expects to sign a contract with an attorney within a few weeks, with the intention of going to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court with its case no later than July.
“We seek to re-establish hunting as a constitutional right and abolish the Sunday hunting ban at the same time,” said Kathy Davis of Speers in Washington County, one of the group’s volunteers. “That is our goal.
The was also the goal of the National Rifle Association, U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance, National Shooting Sports Foundation and others last year when they put on a major push to convince state lawmakers to pass a bill that would have allowed the Pennsylvania Game Commission to decide if and when to include Sundays in hunting seasons. But the bill never even came up for a vote.
That seemed to be the last chance for Sunday hunting advocates, at least for a while. But Hunters United for Sunday Hunting isn’t giving up.
In fact, the group is optimistic long-standing law and some more recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions make this the perfect time to take on the Sunday hunting ban.
The fight will be expensive, though. The group estimates it will need $70,000 to $150,000 to wage a legal battle. It’s asking sportsmen to foot the bill.
“We want this to be a grassroots movement, and we want every Joe Hunter who contributes to have as much say as the next, whether they contribute $5 or $500,” Davis said.
The group collected more than $7,000 in its first two weeks. That’s enough to get started, and Davis and her fellow volunteers hope the suit will succeed where proposed legislation failed.
“Lawmakers had 25-plus years to act on this and they did not, so we’re going to take it out of their hands and go straight to the courts,” Davis said.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »
The only one that gets paid is the lawyer! They will use money for P O Box etc too.  I know today they were $55 shy of $10,000.00 to date in contributions.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »
This might be another way to get to hunt bobcat and coon on Sunday!??????

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
Imo its still the wrong way to go about. Fight it through legislature dont ram it down someones throat through the courts. What happens if their suit fails and the courts rule in favor of the pgc? 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
No see the PGC wants it!  It's the state legislature that didn't even vote on it when it was up for vote. Kind of like what Sen Harry Reed is doing on proposal in the senate! They, state just not even voting on it. Win or lose it's a way to by pass the law makers.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
the only problem with sunday hunting, you are going to end up with shorter seasons.  sunday being a high particiation day would make rifle season for deer about a week.  also archery season may go back to the original month, usually it was the month of October.   be careful what you wish  for. 

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
Count me in....all those knee jerk individuals like your father and your grandfather and their ilk..what did they know???..denied little kids the right to hunt till they were twelve..I was Pissed waiting...I remember when I was twelve..I was a freeken genius and safe to boot...and banning Sunday hunting, what were they thinking???..Boys!!church!!! my mother would ruin Sunday am's like this...who cares what farmers want or think...they don't own the game  the govenor does or the king or somebody ...so why not add an extra $20.00 bucks to have a special Sunday permit...PGC will definately fight for that...I propose 365 day..24/7 hunting...screw the general public....deer hunting in July..get me a fat doe and a milk fed bambi...just like veal....not so much pressure if they spread it out a bit..YEP going to send my 2cents in tomorrow..get this thing rolling..on second thought maybe not... 8)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 07:14:25 AM »
jaspr1, a bit sarcastic but some good points.You better believe there will be a cost.Who pays for the PGC legal fees?Who pays for the additional law enforcement on sunday?Some things are worth a fight but I'm not sure this is one of them.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
I admit being a bit facetious.. ::)  My point being... back in the day when everyone hunted and trapped and game was a part of the supper routine, you would have thought Sunday hunting would have been part of the program.. These people, like my father and grandfather lived much closer to the land and set one day aside for peace and quiet..This  was in keeping with Christian principles I admit, but my father wasn't a church person and I never heard him utter a word about not being able to hunt on Sunday..This is 2012 and we share the planet with a lot of people who think meat is manufactured in the back of a deli, they have no concept of harvesting animals for food. Fortunately for those of us who pursue sport hunting they are largely neutral or fully support us. I think pushing for a total access to Sunday hunting could really backfire here...Most farmers are opposed to this and with Peta and Humane society of US and others waiting for anything remotely making us look bad, and arguing with landowners, mtn. bikers ,birders,hikers and camera buffs just might, we will lose this fight. JMO 8)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 08:12:30 AM »
100% agreed with jasprs last post

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
But! How do you expect to get to shoot coon, bobcat, weasel, skunks and possum on Sunday if PPHA doesn't support this?????this is a chance to improve predator hunting in the state as we presently know it. That's what PPHA is for.