Author Topic: Valentine Day Suprise  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Valentine Day Suprise
« on: February 15, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »
I want to start by thanking my wife for not complaining about the amount of time I spent for my quest to fill my cat tag.

I wanted to fill my tag by calling in a cat but it wasn't meant to be. I trapped this 24 lb female on Valentines day in Cameron county.

My friend Jeff and I have been watching this cat for a long time. I have hunted for it many times unsuccessfully until this weekend. Since this was the last weekend that I would have to fill my tag, Jeff and I formulated a plan. We would arrive at camp around 4:00 pm and I would set some traps while he was out hunting coyotes. Shortly after dark I was to pick him up and we would go back for dinner. After dinner, we would go out and try to call my cat. I set a whopping four traps out in prime cat country, steep and brushy. I set two of the traps on a path that the cat has used many times before, tracks told me so. The other two were also set on past sign. That evening yielded no coyotes or cats. The next morning we checked the traps while it was breaking light. We had to hurry and get back to camp because we had a friend coming up with his dogs. Hopefully the dogs would help me fill my tag.

The first two traps yielded nothing and my hopes were dwindling quick. We were blind to the third trap as we walked up over the hill until we were right on top of it. Well that was almost a costly mistake because the cat lunged forward as I was very close. After screaming like a girl and celebrating that I had a bobcat in my trap, I wanted to complete the process. Jeff insisted that we get some pictures while the cat was in the trap. I explained to him that if that cat got out of that trap, I was going to shoot him. There would be plenty of time to take pictures afterwards. Needless to say, he only took three pictures. My last trap had nothing in either so we pulled all four traps and headed back to camp.

I set the cat on the gate of the ranger as wayne came driving up to camp. I felt bad that he drove three hours to try to get me a cat and I already had one. We took the dogs out anyway with the hopes of getting a coyote or fox. I have a ton of respect for those guys that run hounds. That is really, really tuff in the hills that we were in. All in all it was a fantastic experience and I wouldn't change a thing. I filled my tag on the very last day that I could hunt.

"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Valentine Day Suprise
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:52:22 PM »
Congrats! Very nice cat. Don't you love it when a plan comes together?
President PPHA

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:56:06 PM »
awesome job pal.

perisitance pays! its one thing to draw a tag...its another to fill it out! ;)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 06:31:42 PM »
Congrats bud.Thats a nice puddy.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 07:38:38 PM »
wtg tim.  I am glad to see ya get one.  like woody said persistance pays off.  just because you did not call it does not make it any less special tim.  trappin a cat in this weather is not a walk in the park either.  congrats
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:22:35 PM »
AWESOME JOB TIM!!!

Great lookin cat.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »
Nice looking cat!!!
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline PaCoyotenut

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
 Tim, Congrates on your cat!  Way to go.

Mike

BP

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
Nice going! Excellent photos too!

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »
Nice cat and story Tim. Congrats.
PPHA District 3

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 01:02:21 PM »
good looking cat... congratulations... 
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »
Great looking Cat. Congratulations!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »
 Great job Tim!Didn't expect to see it here but thats ok,sounds like this cat was in trouble one way or the other.What did he weigh?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
Thanks guys.  She weighed 24 lbs.  I thought she was going to get the best of me for a while.  She outsmarted me for a long time.  One thing she didn't know is that I'm a stubborn SOB. ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
Mount the cat