Author Topic: predator light review from tfc2223  (Read 7521 times)

Offline kc

predator light review from tfc2223
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »
i`d thought i`d post this review as he`s been having a hard time getting logged in.

As promised to many of you here is my review of the Predator Light. This review is based on my field results. I agreed to test this light out and I am in no way affiliated with Restorc/Predator Lights.

I received a small box containing the Predator Light and a charger in the mail from owner, Charlie Crotser, and from there I was off and running. I must admit that I have eaten some crow on this test because looking at its size its very easy to under estimate this lights capabilities.

The Predator Light is very small and light and fits in the palm of your hand. Its cordless and the battery is self contained which is my personal most desired feature of this light. It has three settings walk, low and high. I found myself in the low position the most for alot of this testing. The walk position is great for working on gear, crossing creeks etc. The low was the best all around postion for my style of hunting. The high position would probably be used only for shots past 90 to 100 yards if you are using a red lens other than that I felt that it was more light than I like for closer ranges.

Understanding that predator hunters hunt by various systems, I tried to be versatile in my testing to see if this light can perform under different hunting situations. I am definitely a critic when it comes to lights. Due to my employment, my life may depend at anytime on them so I demand the best quality lights that are reliable. Charlie Crotser never had a lack of confidence in his product and he even encouraged me to submerge it under water just to prove that its waterproof.

First, I tested this light as a shooting light where I mounted it to a monopod which is my preferred method of night hunting. Instantly I had a smile on my face when departing my truck when I didn't have a five pound battery hanging from my left shoulder and no wires to contend with or have shorts etc. Seven fox and three raccoon were called in during this hunt. The Predator Light performed flawlessly and I was able to positively identify my target out past 100 yards even with a red lens on said light. Fox were shot from a distance of 5 yards to 33 yards on my first outing with this light with no problems. Never once did I see where I had to only aim for eyes even out past the 100 yard mark when I was coaxing them in for a closer shot.

The second night out I used the Predator Light as how many shotgun hunters would by wearing it on my hat or mounting it on a stick to hold in alignment with the gun for the shot. On this hunt the Predator light was used in much longer durations due to it being a primary scanning light for incoming predators. The lights intensity is adequate enough that most of my scanning was done in the low light position of the light. Rarely did I see the need to use it on its high setting. Six more fox, an owl and a black cat came to dinner on this hunt and once again no problems with the light at all. Its with out a doubt the best scanning light that I have ever used. On this hunt I just clipped the Predator Light to a baseball style cap made by Night Lite that had a low profile mounting bracket attached to it for the light. What surprised me the most is the duration of the light. I hunted all night making several sets and I didn't notice the light intensity diminish.

I initially did some preliminary testing before the season opener of this light where predators were observed with no red lens to see how they would handle the white light. What I found is for the most part what I expected. The Predator Light which is LED is a softer light and to me almost has a blue in color cast to it when no lens cover is attached. What I observed is that when an incoming predator had time to get conditioned to the white light from a distance I did fine and could have easily made a shot. The downside was that I did spook three fox and a cat that were in the five to seven yard range which did not have any light conditioning. They were lit up on the spot and they immediately fled for higher ground. Having said that I have had this happen with red light as well due to "burning" them too excessively.

I had a great time viewing different predators responding to my calling during this test and I have to say that this light is a keeper. I don't think Mr. Crotser knows where I live so maybe I won't give it back. Seriously, as stated earlier the Predator Light has made me a believer and it will perform in a multitude of different situations everything from being a headlight, scope mounted rifle light, shotgun light, and is excellent in treestands as well. Listed below is specification and contact information for the Predator Light.

* LED
* Lithium Ion Battery
* The Predator Light comes with a house charger.
* Options include red/amber lens covers, car charger, scope mounts and barrel mounts. (Available for sale soon. Details to follow).
* Waterproof
* Three light settings - walk, low and high.
* 40 hours burn time on walk, 20 hour burn time on low and 4 hours burn time on high setting.
* Weight is 5.85 ounces.
* Compact and very versatile.
* 1 year electronics warranty.
* Low battery indicator - when the battery reaches 20% the light will flash every 5 seconds on whatever setting your on.
* 8 hour charge time.
* 10,000 hour LED life/500 charges on battery at 100%.
* $269.00 plus $10.00 S&H and NY state sales tax applies.

Contact information:

KC'S Hounds @ 585-216-5113 or Restorc Limited @ 585-425-8101

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: predator light review from tfc2223
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »
do you know if the gun mount for the light is complete and has it been tested to withstand a 12ga 3"mag recoil?

i'm happy with my rifle light and head lamp...looking for somthing wireless for my 12ga. i shoot 3" #4Buck and 3" 2-4shot Mag.

thanks
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:49:31 PM »
Do you have a picture of this light?
FayetteNam

Offline kc

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:30:32 AM »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »
BP,

I removed your post because it was off topic.  If you have any question please feel free to contact me. 

Thanks
Scott

Offline BP

• long live the ppha
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 05:02:03 PM »
I commented on the light and where you could get it half price.  Hardly off topic.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
I'm interested in hearing about a deal on a light, Bp.
FayetteNam

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 06:58:22 PM »
I commented on the light and where you could get it half price.  Hardly off topic.

If you want you can post the name of the light, webisite if one, where you can order it and how much it costs.  not a problem. 

Thanks
Scott 

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
KC~

i called my buddy A.Lewand this evening not realizing you were who i wanted to speak with...he should be giving you my contact info soon.  ;)

~Woody
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline kc

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
woddy, you can call me at 585-216-5113