Author Topic: Steel Shot  (Read 14295 times)

Offline Red Dog

• Junior Forum Member
Steel Shot
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »
Hey Guys;
Have four boxes of !2 ga.Mag.3'' steel in BBB.T,TT left over from my duck hunting days.Get a nice tight pattern at 40yds from my gun. Do you think it would do the job on fox.

Thanks;
Chuck

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Steel Shot
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:56:51 AM »
yep, that stuff works just fine. just make sure your choke tube is for steel shot. i'm sure you already know this....but i didnt when i bought a box of the same steel shot you have and killed a fox with it last season...scored the heck outta my choke tube....lol. live and learn.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline Red Dog

• Junior Forum Member
Steel Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »
Woody;
Thanks. Looks like I am good to go.Will use the 30/30 when I am hunting just yotes.My buddy worked up a load for me that I got a one holer at 100yrd with two shots, in the bull
Chuck

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Steel Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:00:29 PM »
Quote from: "220_Woody"
yep, that stuff works just fine. just make sure your choke tube is for steel shot. i'm sure you already know this....but i didnt when i bought a box of the same steel shot you have and killed a fox with it last season...scored the heck outta my choke tube....lol. live and learn.

take some fine, 400 grit emory cloth and try polishing it out with some oil... it may clean up without to much trouble...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Steel Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:08:35 AM »
thanks Dale, i wouldnt say the choke tube is damaged....just has a few gouges in it...just barely visible and can just make them out by touching the inside of the tube with my pinky. i may give that emory cloth a try. shortly after learning of my mistake by RJF at Buckwheats hunt up in Renovo....i went and bought an identicle choke tube but for steel shot....that stuff patterns beautifuly!
although i will say this RedDog....try to squeeze the trigger outside of 20yds if possible....inside that it tends to make for some unneccessary sewing of the pelt....lol. as i said before....live and learn. :lol:  :wink:
- Channing Pollock

Offline Red Dog

• Junior Forum Member
Steel Shot
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 05:33:44 AM »
Woody
Thanks for the heads up. I had thought about that. Had a buddy that used some steel on a rabbit.He cleaned it with the shot.I do some part time taxidermy,so will put that to use if I get one too close. :roll:
Chuck

BP

Steel Shot
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 08:35:34 AM »
Quote from: "220_Woody"
I wouldnt say the choke tube is damaged....just has a few gouges in it.

Woody, I got the perfect car for you!

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Steel Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 09:52:15 AM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
- Channing Pollock