Author Topic: Coyote Rifles?  (Read 36468 times)

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2006, 02:21:39 PM »
Quote from: "Bluedog"
the .22-250 is known to burn out barrels quicker than most.

Say what?  What web forum did you read that garbage in?  The .220 swift was rumored to be a barrel burner in the "campfire talk" about 20 years ago.  Today it will last as long as a 250, 243 or even the hyped up wssm's.

I didn't even see that dumb@$$ remark... who ever told you that, you need to seperate yourself from them as they don't have a clue as to what's going on in the world around them...

I'm with the "Dog" on this issue... I been shooting a 22-250 since 1972 and the same one since 1975 and the accuracy is as good today as it was when it was new... I must admit though it is a Swedish built Husquvarna on the FFV action... these rifles have always been shooters...

the 220 Swift used to have a reputation as a barrel burner, but I think a lot of that was from the hot rods pushing it to the limit with every loading... plus the fact that barrel steel has evolved since then...

unlike the "Dog" I am not so meticulous at cleaning... from the time fur season opens in October till it ends in February, nothing goes down the bore of my rifles except bullets... not taking the chance of messing something up...  then a good scrubbing with patches and solvent only, no brushes here... if it gets really tough maybe a few passes with a tight patch coated well with Flitz... but seldom need that either... then through out the summer during ground hog shooting it'll get cleaned about once a month or so... just don't want to break it's streak when it's shooting good...   :twisted:
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »
Sorry if I offended any owners of the .22-250, but barrel burnout is a reality and is caused by velocity, heat, and pressure. ANY cartridge that produces more of these factors is going to be more prone to burn out. Hunters usually won't be troubled by it, but shooters would. I was able to find a few informational items, like this statement from Guns and Ammo Magazine(Dec. 2004):

"Faster cartridges are going to wear out barrels more quickly than slower cartridges. There is no real threshold that I'm aware of, but the very fast .22s like the .22-250, .220 Swift and .223 WSSM are going to wear out barrels much faster than milder .22s like the .222 and .223."-Craig Boddington

If I'm wrong in this opinion, I have a lot of reputable company.

Obviously if you load a cartridge down below the levels for which it was designed, you'll prolong the rifle barrel's life. Then again you'll never attain the level of performance for which it was developed either. In which case you would probably be better off with a cartridge that was developed and designed for the performance level to which your loading. This is like buying a .44 mag. and then loading it down to .38 Spec. levels, it just don't make any sense.

Don.

Offline broknaero

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »
hello all, new here. finaly decided to join. looks like this forum will be a second home. i live and hunt in Pa. this past year have seriously gotten into predator/varmit hunting. ive been on the forever search for a fur friendly round since i hit a fox while coyote hunting this past winter. was useing my .220swift so you know what im talking about. im looking for sugestions for a fur friendly round for fox, and hard hitting enough for coyotes in normal calling range. and something i can pop chucks with in the summer cause ill be getting rid of my .220 swift real soon.
 im very interested in the .19 cals that i saw someone mention in here. the .19/223 seems a little hot for fox, but perfect for coyotes, and the .19 calhoon hornet seems perfect for fox but a little light for coyotes, and long range chucks. calhoon offers one thats between those two. its the .19 badger, based on the .30 carbine. i have ordered one, will take 2 months for this custom rifle to arrive, and i hope its what i want.
just wondering what everyone else uses for fox and coyotes thats good on fur.
-SEMPER FI-

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2006, 12:59:01 PM »
a 19... never saw the first case or bullet on the shelf of any store for that caliber...

there's nothing wrong with your Swift, and you evidently reload if you're getting a 19... download the Swift make it out to what you want it to be... I'm sure someone out there has experimented with it... I know there are a lot of loads for the 22-250 using pistol powders to make them work... my partner has tried some of them and they shoot well and are extremely quiet also... and you still have a gun that'll handle all the rest of the stuff you want to do... and a lot better then a 19... them little bullets may start fast but slow quickly...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline broknaero

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »
lol, my swift is also a target model, its a real pain to carry around for calling. James Calhoon makes the .19. same calhoon as the bullets. his custom rifles are tricked out CZ 527's with pac-nor barrels. in .19 calhoon(HORNET) ,.19 badger(30 carbine), or the .19/223. i can get a 6.5lb cz527 in .19 badger from him less than a grand. or carry around my 13lb .220swift.
-SEMPER FI-

Offline ElkCrazy

• http://www.hhh-usa.org
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2006, 03:19:29 PM »
Well Dog,

Maybe 1" isn't much when your talking custom rifles and handloads??  I was refering to a NEF Handi-Rifle (off the shelf) and cheap Winchester blasting ammo from Wal-mart.

Granted, I could accurize and handload this gun into sub-MOA groups also.  But the $200 rilfe just doulbed in price, at least.  :roll:
Tim
PGC HTE Instructor
www.hhh-usa.org

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2006, 08:07:44 PM »
Quote from: "ElkCrazy"
Well Dog,

Maybe 1" isn't much when your talking custom rifles and handloads??  I was refering to a NEF Handi-Rifle (off the shelf) and cheap Winchester blasting ammo from Wal-mart.

Granted, I could accurize and handload this gun into sub-MOA groups also.  But the $200 rilfe just doulbed in price, at least.  :roll:

Tim,
I wouldn't be too sure that handloads would change anything. I tried plenty of different loads and that cheap Winchester white box 45gr. JHP ammo outshot everything I put through my H+R .223. They're hard to beat for the bucks!
Don

Offline broknaero

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2006, 11:08:56 AM »
yes there are definatly times when factory loads out perform reloads. i have one of those ruger compacts in .260 rem. and i cant reload anything that comes close to the .5" groups with rem accutips. so i just leave it alone.
i only want the .19 cause its different, and inharently accurate. and it fits the bill, splits the difference between the .17 rem and the .22 hornet. and im not reloading it right away. calhoon sells loaded ammo for his 3 different .19's at very reasonable prices. i think $27 or $28 a box of 50. thats factory ammo price there.
 if i can do better by reloading, i get all the brass, dies,and .19 cal bullets from him or swagg down .20 cal bullets to .19. and try to load my own. but from what i hear from other .19 cal shooters i wont need to. and he garentees .5" groups from his rifles. ill take that!
-SEMPER FI-

Offline psubowhunter

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »
I use a Winchester Mod 70 .25 WSSM with a Hornady 75gr bullet it gets the job done

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2006, 12:27:27 PM »
Quote from: "psubowhunter"
I use a Winchester Mod 70 .25 WSSM with a Hornady 75gr bullet it gets the job done

Your lucky to have gotten that Winchester Mod. 70 when you did. You would be hard pressed to find it now that Winchester closed it's doors in New Haven, Conn.
Don