Author Topic: Coyote Rifles?  (Read 36453 times)

Offline ElkCrazy

• http://www.hhh-usa.org
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 09:42:36 PM »
Well Dale, if you figured it out?  It would have been nice to post the info. (LIKE I DID) So others could have known about it, that were reading the post.

Sorry, I was trying to help.
Tim
PGC HTE Instructor
www.hhh-usa.org

Offline HFD60

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2006, 11:12:11 AM »
I use a .223 or .308, each works real nice.... :)
Rich Bistline Jr

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006, 10:33:20 PM »
I may be picking up a 20/.222 savage used pretty cheap. Whats  y'all thought on the .222 for yotes?
If this deal falls through I am going to get a Spartan SPR 94 12/.223. It seems that everyone reloads the .223 for yotes. Is there a load for the .223 that is fur friendly for fox but will also take a coyote?
Thanks

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »
archerobx,
The .222 won't give you the range that the .223 does, which won't give you the range the .22-250 will. That said, it will probably still work well for 90% of the shots you'll get.
If you can get a good price on the Savage, your doin' a lot better than me. Those combo guns are sure demanding a high price nowadays.
As for fur friendly loads for the .223, I have been asking around and there doesn't a definitive answer. The opinions I've received are so varied, that I took to asking various bullet manufacturers. Traditional varmint rounds seem to be too explosive to use on coyotes, if you want the pelt. I also asked about match bullets and was told they also create too much damage. Ty Herring, from Barnes bullets, told me that his Varmintor bullets would also cause too much damage, so I should use his more traditional X bullets. I've looked around the local stores, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain, but haven't found them yet. I think I'll have to order some online to try.
Don

Offline ElkCrazy

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2006, 12:41:51 AM »
Guys,

Try using a controled expansion bullet.  Doesn't matter what caliber.  You will most likely get 2 holes but there will be minimal damage to the pelt. (easily sewn shut)  For Large calibers ('06 and bigger)  try FMJ bullets.  They don't expand much, but have a lot of punch.  Should knock 'em off their feet.  Make sure the shots are through the shoulders.  FMJs are not the best for lung shots. (unless you want to look for your animal)

Currently, I'm in the process of working up a .223 load at present.  Something universal for chucks as well as furbearers.  I'll let you know what happens.
Tim
PGC HTE Instructor
www.hhh-usa.org

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2006, 01:14:28 AM »
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline ElkCrazy

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2006, 02:04:52 AM »
Well the guy I'm doing this for, Has one varmint gun (for now).  He would like to keep it simple and not have to resight for each time he wants to switch game animals. (and loads) We can only work with what we're given!!!

I just joined LoadData.com.  They have over 100,000 loads in their data base.  I've been finding a lot of helpful things on their site.  Costs $24.95 a year.  You can down load or copy any data after becoming a member.  You also get a 3 ring binder to keep printed materials in.  It's like making your own Loading Manual.
Tim
PGC HTE Instructor
www.hhh-usa.org

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2006, 07:26:39 AM »
Quote from: "ElkCrazy"

Currently, I'm in the process of working up a .223 load at present.  Something universal for chucks as well as furbearers.  I'll let you know what happens.

I look forward to hearing your results. I've been trying to find the Barnes 70gr. TSX bullets to try. The extra weight should give me a bit more range from the .223. The rifle I'm using has a 1-9" twist so it should be able to stabilize bullets in that weight. So far the best load I've shot from that rifle uses Sierra 53gr. MatchKings over Varget. I wonder if the traditional BTSP bullets from Hornady or Sierra might work best. They don't have the rapid expansion of a ballistic tip or V-max type bullet and should easily penetrate a coyote from any angle without opening up too much, as long as the velocity is kept down they should hold together well. I'm also trying to work up a load for a 7mm-08. It's a 6.5lb. rifle that will make for easy carrying. I have some 140gr. Sierra GameKings to try in that.
It's kinda funny, but if you ask guys that live in the western states what they use, they'll say it don't much matter, as long as you can kill those, and I quote"greasy little flea bit vermin". They don't much care for coyotes in cattle country.  :lol:  The pelt doesn't much matter to them.
Well it's a beautiful day in PA. so I'm going to load a few and take to the range.
Don

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2006, 08:21:13 AM »
Yes a great day out, maybe a hog or two will put its head up. My first goal is to dispatch the animal, then I will worry about the pelt.  Looks like I will be getting the 20g/.222. I am alittle worried that their is some rust around the scope on the barrel, and I do not know what the inside looks like. I have only seen pics.  with the .222, what type of ammo would y'all reccommend? Any good factory or should I reload?

Offline ElkCrazy

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2006, 04:04:08 AM »
Archer,  start with a factory load  something in 50gr. or 45gr.  I'd try the 50s first.  then you will have casing for reloading.  If you are getting casings with the gun, then you can do what you want.  Is it in .222 Rem or .222 Rem. mag.??  PM me and I'll send you some suggestions.

Blue,

I found a EXTREMELY accurate load,  at 100 yds. , 5 shots.  Extreme spread was .634".  This was from a NEF Handi-Rifle.  I wonder what it would be like out of a "top grade" gun.   It was a 50gr. Hornady spire point w/ 26.0gr. Hodgden Varget, CCI 400 primers.  Now as far as performance on game, we'll see shortly.  Chucks won't be a problem to find, might take a while for a dog.
Tim
PGC HTE Instructor
www.hhh-usa.org

Offline castor

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 07:27:55 PM »
:roll: hi , all  i am  new at the predator hunting. a avid deer and bear hunter. i have a thompson encore with a 243 barrel  and using the new fussion ammo in 95 grain.  i will give the new ammo a try and see how it does.

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 08:28:47 PM »
Quote from: "ElkCrazy"

Blue,

I found a EXTREMELY accurate load,  at 100 yds. , 5 shots.  Extreme spread was .634".  This was from a NEF Handi-Rifle.  I wonder what it would be like out of a "top grade" gun.   It was a 50gr. Hornady spire point w/ 26.0gr. Hodgden Varget, CCI 400 primers.  Now as far as performance on game, we'll see shortly.  Chucks won't be a problem to find, might take a while for a dog.

I have the H+R Ultra Varmint, same as the NEF, and it just loves that cheap white box Winchester USA 45gr JHP ammo. 40 rounds for $12 at Walmart and I can't touch it with any reload I've tried. That rifle has a 1-12" twist and won't stabilize anything larger than 55gr. bullet. The Savage I now have is a 1-9" twist and should do better with heavier weight bullets up to 70gr., but so far the best groups I'm seeing are with the Hornady 40gr. V-Max moly bullets.
Don

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »
Quote from: "castor"
:roll: hi , all  i am  new at the predator hunting. a avid deer and bear hunter. i have a thompson encore with a 243 barrel  and using the new fussion ammo in 95 grain.  i will give the new ammo a try and see how it does.

castor,
First off, WELCOME, I see this is your first post and hopefully you'll spend more time here.
The T/C Encore is a fine rifle. I have owned a .243 Encore in the past and it was extremely accurate. I believe I was using Hornady 100gr. BTSP ammo in that rifle. It dropped a deer in it's tracks.
Don

Offline ElkCrazy

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 03:44:20 PM »
Blue,

I know what you mean about the Win. ammo.  My buddy got a box of the 55gr.  FMJ  and they shot great.  About 1" at 100 yds.

Sometimes expensive or fancy names just don't cut it.
Tim
PGC HTE Instructor
www.hhh-usa.org

Offline Bluedog

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2006, 12:58:37 PM »
the .22-250 is known to burn out barrels quicker than most.

Say what?  What web forum did you read that garbage in?  The .220 swift was rumored to be a barrel burner in the "campfire talk" about 20 years ago.  Today it will last as long as a 250, 243 or even the hyped up wssm's.

Barrel life in a varmint rifle has many variables as to how barrel life is affected, which there really isn't enough room on this forum to discuss, but a few of them are barrel and throat temp.,bullet weight, speed, average chamber pressure...and the most often overlooked one is care of the chamber and barrel.  I know people who religiously clean their rifles, and guys that might run a patch or two per year down their barrels...and that is the most common cause of a "shot out" barrel...lack of knowledge of how to properly clean and preserve the bore and barrel of a rifle.  

98% of average hunters will never "shoot out" a barrel in rifle.   With that said, the 22-250 is a round that is near and dear to my heart, I shoot mine quite a bit, year round, and use it for most of my hunting, the chamber and barrel are cleaned after every use, whether it is fired or not.  It is a pretty consistent piece, and I believe it will be for many years to come, I dare say it will be quite a few years, if even then, that the barrel is ever ....shot out.....and yeah by the way....I am one of those guys from out west who likes the long range ability of the 250, but it sure seems to be doing the trick back here in PA.
A 1 inch group at 100 yards.....dont mean nothin.