Author Topic: Coyote Rifles?  (Read 36457 times)

Offline huntingisfun

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 09:22:10 AM »
I usually use the 12 guage with #4 Buckshot, but when I use a rifle I use a 6mm (.244)

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 07:54:33 PM »
why choose either a rifle or a shotgun? why not get both on the same rig? i carry a Savage 24F-12 (22 Hornet above a 12ga)for my fur hunting rig, as well as alot of other fur hunters. its the best of both words...think of it....that fox or coyote comes in fast to the call you got the scatter gun(#4 buck if i'm expecting coyotes or 3" mag turkey loads if i'm in fox territory) on the ready...if it hangs up on ya out there to 175yds...you got the rifle at the flip of a switch.
theres only two glitches to a over/under combo rig.
~ the weight(heavy).
~p.o.i. usually wont land in the same area.

i went with the hornet because i have a 220 Swift that i cant load slow enough with a non expanding bullet(match type) to keep a fox in one piece. plus its an heirloom and i dont wanna scratch it anymore than it is from toting it around in dark.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/220_Woody/24Fpaint1.jpg
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 07:09:34 AM »
I'm a bit curious if anyone here is using a .22 mag. rimfire for coyotes? I know the .17 HMR has become very popular nowadays, but I would think the .22 mag. might be a better choice on coyotes. Both of these are available in some very lightweight rifles for long totes in the woods.
Don

Offline PaCoyotenut

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 09:30:10 AM »
My personal opinion is both are too light for the eastern coyote.The .17 REM. is the popular calibur for them western guys,not the .17 HMR

Will a .22 MAG kill a coyote? Yes,but shot placement has to be just about perfect,right in the boiler maker,or you will not recover that yote.

With all the hard work and how tough the PA coyote is to get into gun range,your flirting with a big let down after the shot with the .17 HMR and the .22MAG. Just not worth it to me,but,too each is own.

Good luck hunting1

*PaCoyotenut*

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 04:00:04 PM »
Quote from: "PaCoyotenut"
My personal opinion is both are too light for the eastern coyote.The .17 REM. is the popular calibur for them western guys,not the .17 HMR

Will a .22 MAG kill a coyote? Yes,but shot placement has to be just about perfect,right in the boiler maker,or you will not recover that yote.

With all the hard work and how tough the PA coyote is to get into gun range,your flirting with a big let down after the shot with the .17 HMR and the .22MAG. Just not worth it to me,but,too each is own.

Good luck hunting1

*PaCoyotenut*

PaCoyotenut,
Thanks, that was pretty much my take also. I had been to Chuck Hawk's web site and he was comparing the two for coyote. The western coyotes are supposed to be much smaller, and he may not have had any experience with the eastern variety. I was looking for a lighter rifle for the longer walks, and read about the .22 mag. A nice 5.5lb. rifle would be nice.
Thanks,
Don

Offline George Ackley

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 07:13:25 AM »
Here are my predator rifles. I have never taken a shotgun out yet

MY 243

MY223

MY FOX GUN 22MAG

AND MY AR'S

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

Offline BigBlue

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 08:27:16 AM »
George,
Welcome and thanks for sharing the pics. Both the rifles and yotes look great.
It's a funny thing, but while many use the .22 mag., quite a few others think it's too light for yotes. I have been looking for a lighter weight woods rifle and the .22 mag. would fit that bill nicely. Savage has a nice looking 93FV .22 mag. bolt gun with a heavier barrel and it's still only 6lbs. http://www.savagearms.com/93fv.htm They also make a fairly light .243 at 6.5 lbs. http://www.savagearms.com/10fm.htm While Savage isn't as pretty as some of the other rifles out there, they do have a great rep for accuracy.
Don

Offline George Ackley

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 04:24:15 PM »

Offline Cannon Hollow Hounds

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 09:51:51 PM »
I own one of the Savage O/U .22 Hornet - 12ga mag that I use to use in fall turkey season when the single projectiles were legal for fall turkey. But the problem I had with mine is the trigger pull is so dang heavy I couldn't hold a good group with it. I have asked a couple gunsmiths if they could lighten it up and none of them will mess with it as they say it affects the safty mechanism of the gun. Anyone have any thoughts on this or it just something you have to live with. Thanks,  CHH

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 10:24:07 PM »
I own one of the Savage O/U .22 Hornet - 12ga mag that I use to use in fall turkey season when the single projectiles were legal for fall turkey.

can you clarify this statement?... as far as I know they're still legal for the fall season... unless I'm missing something...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Cannon Hollow Hounds

Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 11:14:44 PM »
Well, I guess they still may be in some of the WMA's but all the areas that I hunt fall turkey in PA (Crawford, Erie ,Mercer counties) they were outlawed several years back.Shotgun only now.Just like spring. Thanks, CHH

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 12:32:49 AM »
I had to go back and look again... I see they specify it in the fall turkey season section...  I was only looking at the arms and ammunition section after that...  8)

Offline George Ackley

• Junior Forum Member
Coyote Rifles?
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 12:04:43 AM »
Just can't get myself to take a shot gun out :?

I use a Ruger 77/22 in 22 mag  for no rifle areas for fox
And a Ruger  77 in 243 for coyotes
And a Remington 223vs now if I am going to bait. Undecided yet if I will be baiting :?:

Offline ElkCrazy

• http://www.hhh-usa.org
Fall turkey arms
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »
guys, in the regs. booklet page 34.  During the fall season in WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 5C and 5D, the ONLY legal method of taking a turkey is with either a Shotgun or a Bow and Arrow.

Hope this helps.
Tim
PGC HTE Instructor
www.hhh-usa.org

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Fall turkey arms
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 08:59:24 PM »
Quote from: "ElkCrazy"
guys, in the regs. booklet page 34.  During the fall season in WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 5C and 5D, the ONLY legal method of taking a turkey is with either a Shotgun or a Bow and Arrow.

Hope this helps.

Yo T we had that figured 0ut a week ago but thanks anyways, and welcome to the board...    :twisted: