Author Topic: Coon Bait...Revisited  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Coon Bait...Revisited
« on: July 23, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »
I've only been trapping coon for 2 years, and i've always used some bait and some lure at each set. I was just wondering the other day reading all the coon bait descriptions in the supply catalogs, and why do we pay all this money for mixed coon bait when dogfood, catfood, peanut butter, honey, fish scraps, any table scraps, and other commonly found stuff around the house for cheap works as well? What is your opinion when it comes to using a commercial coon bait or a home made coon bait? Do you guys only use lure? Combination? or are you one of the guys that just gives it a squirt of fish/shellfish oil and moves along?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coon Bait...Revisited
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
I used a bait from carmen for coon.  not sure of the name but I never caught a cat when using it which is untrue most of the time for other table food.  I always caught coon.  on the other hand a jet puffed marshmallow works pretty good as well in cubby sets. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: Coon Bait...Revisited
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
alot of people use house hold things for coon bait but coon lure is a whole diffrent thing.