Author Topic: rats  (Read 3541 times)

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
rats
« on: December 25, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »
woke this Christmas morning and loaded the sled with 110's from Dreamcatcher..chainsaw..stakes...hammer...and off to the ponds i went. bet the neighbors loved the sound of a chainsaw cutting through ice as they opened their gifts..... :D

set three coni's for muskrats this morning. never set traps for rats before today....they look good to me. i guess tomorrow morning will tell the tale if the rats liked them too... :-\  left my 1 1/2 longsprings at work by accident after tweeking them a bit. found some good spots to set them up in monday after work.

cut some holes in the ice for some fishing later if i get the chance.....

thanks to my PPHA trappin buddies for giving me some pointers on how to set!

thawing out by the woodstove...still can't feel my fingers... ;D
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: rats
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
How did you set those up through the ice, i've never done that myself, and I want to buy some traps here now that buying gifts for xmas is over? I have never done that either, just been trappin coon with good success using pocket sets and 1 1/2 coilsprings...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »
Woody, Check 1st day Muskrat traps a few hours after dark this evening. Reset traps and have more Rats in the morning.

A dangburn Red walked acrossed the fur shed porch last Sunday.
He's been hanging around so set for him this morning.
Live trap with footholds outside live trap.

Here's last Sunday's pictures of Red tracks across fur shed porch, he even checked out the Red Fox ceramic....

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »
thanks for the tip Hern!! i'll check them tonight before i put little man to bed.

thought that was your visiting red fox in a trap in the second pic there till i scrolled down and saw the third.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 02:26:11 PM by 220_Woody »
- Channing Pollock

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 11:17:34 AM »
dag'nammit. nothing this morning. one set i thought was a sure thing. can't expect too much for the first 24hrs i guess?

did pull one of the traps as the ice is melting aweful fast. was re-setting in another spot when i had a cold rush of water down my waders....and i mean COLD! appartenly while i was placing channeling sticks i was sinking in the mud and didnt realize it. right wader got about 6" of water in it before i could pull myself free of the suction. quit that set and made a bee-line for the house. right foot was a little bit numb for awhile.. ;D
- Channing Pollock

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 11:21:04 AM »
Woody that is one of the thrills of water trapping. lol At least you was close to the house.
PPHA District 3

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 08:17:24 AM »
You ain't water trapped unless you've been wet...LOL
Woody, Remind me to tell you about me falling into an ole canel section along the Susquehanna, while checking Beaver traps at 15 degrees below!
Another time I fell, slipped or something and sat in ice water! Went on bank, layed down and put my feet up in the air to leave the water outa my hipboots! Dang it was cold!

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 06:05:41 AM »
well, just checked the traps...strike four!!  :-\

did a lap around both ponds and found some active slides. gonna pull one of the 110's and bring home and set some 1 1/2's tonight.

this is actually fun....i can dig this whole trapping thing! ;D
- Channing Pollock

Renny

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »
Been chasing some rats and snarin some toothy critters too.  Nothing makes you feel more alove than gettin soaked on the first check of the day...

Keep at em wOODY!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 06:49:55 PM »
Cute critter there Renny.
Gotta love the floral pattern.
I'll bet that beaver weighs more than she does ;D ;D

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:13 AM »
For the love of God Renny, didn't Santa get her a pair of waders yet?