Author Topic: 17 Hornet Update  (Read 11069 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
17 Hornet Update
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
     Well,  most of you that have followed my postings about the 17 Hornet already know that I am a huge fan of this calibre.  Well....here's an update.

While up at camp 2 weekends ago with Bowman, we were lucky enough to have a Yote come straying into camp about 80 yards away.  I grabbed the 17 Hornet using 20 gr Hornady V a=max ammo.  I was able to find a spot where I could rest the gun on a sand bag to steady my shot.  I squeezed the trigger, and with Bowman spotting for me, we know we made a definite hit on the dog.  He spun around in a half circle, trying to bite where the bullet entered his flesh.  Next he turned and bolted in the woulds, but not without stumbling first.

I thought , Finally, we were able to put fur on the ground.  A nice broad side shot at 80 yards, watching his reaction to the hit....it was game over for him!

We went up to where to check inside the woods and to our surprise....No dog.  We looked for over an hour for him, but no such luck. 

The moral of the story for me is this.....I still love the 17 hornet round for fox.  It hasn't left me down yet on killing them.  However,  the next time I pick up a gun to put a coyote in my sights, its going to be either the 204 Ruger or the 22-250. 
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

uncle buck

Re: 17 Hornet Update
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 12:22:37 AM »
Um? I never use VMAX at all  for predators.  I always used 25 grain Hornady HP in my 17 Rem and 17 Fire ball. I have ripped a few fox using the larger CF.
if the 17 Hornet and 17 WSMRF turn out to be super fox guns then that's good!
If I'm hunting coyotes only my rifle of choice is the 22250 with 50 grain Silver Ballistic Tips or the Win 45 grain factory HP,s!
I know seeking coyotes would agree with you too on your findings!??????
Something tells me now to go for head shots if using the 17 WinSMRF 20 grainers or the 17 Hornet 20 grain VMAX for coyotes! Even the 22 WMR 40 Grain Dynapoints anchor things right  there if shots occur in the head! 
Thanks for your feed back on the 17 Hornet 20. grain and VMAX hit on the coyote!
I truly don't want to go to the. Berger 30 grainer HP. Why do that when I can use a 204 in the factory 32 grainer HP! 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:27:03 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 06:49:44 AM »
I like bigger guns for coyotes. I like the 243. I have seen coyotes run a long ways even with 55 gr. 223. If you make a perfectly placed bullet a lot of smaller caliber will kill a coyote. But I want to make sure even on a marginal hit they stay anchored right were they stand. Keep the small guns for fox. But like every one else I am a fox hunter so I feel under gunned most of the time for coyotes even with my 17 rem. 25 gr.hollow point
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:50:21 AM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline JimmyLenz

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »
Am I doing it wrong ?  I got into the  hornet for the precision placement . I do understand that hitting the vitals are a big part of big game .  For yotes and below I use the ability to tack drive emm high .  Cause the round can .   Broad side I hit emm right below the ear .  Front on I hit emm above the cavity plate .  Never had one take a step . I never thought of even trying to hit emm like a deer as the 17 don't have the foot per square to give solid take downs .   The ballistics are nice but throw a rib in the way and it's not gonna cut it unless its real close. .   And that don't happen often .  Normally.  100 to  150 in my parts .   

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »
243 !!!! I have a 6.5 BRM that I might use. Going to shoot it in for deer! My as  well use the .264 for coyotes!
The 6.5 is suppose to be good for prairie dogs. The bullet is a 140 grain match bullet.  I even questioned company about using Hornady Match Grade bullets for deer. They assured me that their factory ammo match grade 140 is accurate and will work flawless on deer. You start to use deer bullets in populated areas and you better know your hunting lands! Unless you use varmint bullets in your .243!   

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
UB
You know the 243 87gr BTH is a nice bullet. I do not hunt coyotes around here with the 243. there are to many houses.  But ANY rifle is just as deadly as the 243 if it goes were it should not.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
Fear the one gun one caliber man!
I have a good friend in UK! He owns only one gun. 22250. You should see him smoke pigeons and Magpies with that 22250.
Many times we hurt ourselves because we use so many different rifles and calibers.
That's why I like the Encore system!
Buckwheat I will remember that grain .243 bullet, the 87 BTH!
I don't own a Encore barrel in the 243 configuration. Maybe down the road I will get a T/C  24 inch .243 barrel.
BW and my friend from Texas uses an AR for coyotes in the 2506.
You take shooting at night! That's tough to begin with. That's why I use a sturdy shooting rest like " The Ranger" and a rifle that I'm use too. Jumping around to different rifles could cause you to miss a easy shot at a coyote.
However I do like to use a Marlin model 883 in the 22 WMR chambering for red fox!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
Ub
The one gun statement is true a lot of the time.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Ub
I am going to be testing a 17 CZ hornet this year a little. I am looking forward to it for fox. Just seams like a fun little caliber. It will be with a 20gr. polymer tip bullet. I would like to see some one make a 20gr. Core lock bullet. I would love to test that bullet.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 01:00:51 AM »
I also will be using the  17 Hornet in the Encore configuration this fur season... Doing the same as you starting off with the 20 grain VMAX.  However I do have some of those  20 grain HP Dogtown MIDWAYUSA bullets that I will try. I doubt if my 17 Hornet will be ready by the start of fox season..

I was using one of your Carnivore 5 lights the other day for hunting coyotes... It worked great...I did learn from you to keep the shooting light on the gun on while calling..That is making me so stealth now...Thanks for the info on that setup BW! Yes I change the battery out oh maybe every other stand.. However I sure got plenty of them batteries..

I really love my factory T/C  24 inch 22250 Encore barrel for night hunting...Oh it's just to powerful for fox but does it ever shoot nice from your  Ranger Stand...Square shot in the middle of a red fox chest looks like a Howitzer hit it at point blank...The Wal-Mart Win multipack of  40 round 45 grain bullets shoot so well in it..
Looking forward to going hunting for deer with arrows after  25 years of quitting... Going to use your Ranger Rest for that crossbow too...Probably won't get out in the heat Saturday since I don't like  fresh cut up venison... I like to hang it out back in a tree in the cold temps for  5 days before I butcher it...