Author Topic: 17 Hornet Ammo available  (Read 7412 times)

Offline JimmyLenz

Re: 17 Hornet Ammo available
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »
Have you started loading these uncle buck ?   I'm Curious what kind of case life can be expected .  I'm still waiting on my die set so I haven't had the pleasure of testing out loads . I hope its in the 8 range  as buying new brass puts the cost right up there with loaded ammo .       , Jimmy

Offline PA Predator Hunter

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
Try Meyers Gun Shop in Bath, Pa. Located near Allentown. He had quite a bit but will only sell 2 boxes per customer. The other place that had it was Natchez Shooting. Have to order on line. My buddy just ordered 6 boxes at around $21 per box.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 08:11:19 PM »
Have you started loading these uncle buck ?   I'm Curious what kind of case life can be expected .  I'm still waiting on my die set so I haven't had the pleasure of testing out loads . I hope its in the 8 range  as buying new brass puts the cost right up there with loaded ammo .       , Jimmy

Hey Jimmy...I load for my .17 Fireball which is similar.  I bet you get about six and you will start getting some neck splits on a few cases after three or four times.  I've started to anneal my .17 Fireball brass after each reloading because it seemed to not last as long as my other calibers.

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
Jimmy I have 200 rounds of brass but have not yet reloaded for the 17 Hornet yet!
I was shocked how expensive the RCBS dies were on the 17 Hornet.
I do have everything for reloading the 17 Hornet. However I'm going to start the season off with the 22 WMR and 17 Fireball for fox.  Sorry for not responding back sooner!
I do always keep in reserve 100 rounds of brass on all my newer calibers!
I will probably start off with factory 17 Hornet ammunition when I do get to using the 17 Hornet!
Just make sure you check for case stretching and cot them back to the specific length. 
I doubt it will take me years to shoot the same brass 6 or 7 times. I'm not much of target shooter with my predator guns. Only use for hunting!