Author Topic: 17 Hornet coming home  (Read 9545 times)

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
17 Hornet coming home
« on: August 01, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
Savage told me my rifle shipped yesterday...although the UPS tracking number they provided did not work....they would not tell me what was wrong or what work was done but there is no charge. Hoping a work invoice is in box. But then as long as the bugs are gone I don't care what was done.....can't wait to get that sweet shooter back out and killing!
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 17 Hornet coming home
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
  Just curious,  What was the turn around time  for shipping it out, getting the work done, and getting it back??
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
I sent it out on 17JUL13......The CS Rep told me it shipped out yesterday 31JUL13....roughly two weeks.
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
    Thats a pretty good turn around time in my opinion!  Keep me posted on its preformance once you get a chance to shoot it again.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »
Roger that.
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
Well its home!...came today and I had the goodies put back on in two heart beats! Can't wait to get it out to the range to see if Savage got rid of the demons. The paperwork stated they cleaned and checked entire action, removed burrs from bolt, checked headspace, and function fired....the bolt looks brand new to me...

[/URL][/img]

This will be a LONG week unless I can manage to get home early one day.....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:20:59 PM by xusnordy45 »
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:34:41 PM by xusnordy45 »
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »
Looks like a killer set-up!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:05:02 PM »
Thanks......tonight was actually the first time I had the chance to look through the scope with the Wicked Light attached.....WOW! I can't wait for season!
Dan
Fairfield PA

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 03:20:59 AM »
I truly like 17 calibers... Hope the  17 Hornet works out for all of you that own one... I too will have to get one in the Encore configuration of course.. I will would like to try Midway USA 20 Grain Dog town HP in that caliber...
I suppose right now all you can get in the  17 Hornet is the VMAX factory round?  Please give us all your feed back come fox season when you use the 17 Hornet VMAX or reloads...Might be that the VMAX might be a good fox bullet  in the  17 Hornet... I know when I use the  22 Hornet I use a 45 grain Soft Point...

NRA Riflemen mag just had an article on the new  17 WSM rim fire... what was nice they compared it to all of the predator rounds..  the 22 WMR and the 22 Hornet... Seems like those to 22 calibers the author just felt they just didn't have the energy. Also that they had quite a bit of wind drift out to past 100 yards..
the author had all kinds of stats on the 17 center fires too...Point of  impact at different yards and wind drift and energy.. If you can get your hands on the article in the American rifleman magazine it's worth looking at..
What sounds good about the 17 Hornet is that it does have the FPS (Energy)  like the  223.  Now that should be good!!!
I'm looking forward to shooting the  17 WSM rim fire and the  17 Hornet!!!

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
I can tell you that the 17 Hornet can sure put the smack down on G'Hogs!....I had the chance to take it out before shipping back to Savage. 204yds was my longest and it dropped that G'hog like a rock!

I dont intend to use it more than 200yds really....but I imagine it could be effective out to 300yds on G'Hogs and similar sized targets.
Dan
Fairfield PA

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
Just notice that it comes in a 15.5 grain factory round...Anyone try this grain bullet  on chucks?

Funny not only is the ammo hard to find so is the brass..

I was just thinking today how all of these shortages occur since this president is in... kind of is like because he's in office it's a traumatic thing to find ammo now..  Hording begins because people just aren't sure they will be able to get their hands on ammo.  In his own way it's like what a terrorist does to your brain...Traumatizes you because you can't find ammo anywhere.. Now some might say well that doesn't bother me...Just how hard it's to get your hands on ammo.. Ya it bothers me a lot..
Politicans have an agenda then the ripple effect to sportsperson is negative..
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:55:48 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »
got any pics of the damage to the hogs with that 17 hornet? let us know what the fur damage is on the foxes when the time occurs! I know a few places that have them, and with the 22 hornet already in the cabnet I might take a look see into this 17 hornet...might wait a few years to see if she hangs on too, 22 hornet does everything I ask and lately, a lot more...in june last time I was out chuck huntin, I was 3 for 3 50-150-200 (walked off)  8)with the 22H, chest shots with no hold over...maybe I got lucky
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »

Neither one had much destruction.....knocked them down pretty dang hard. Neat watching a bullet hit that hard thru the scope....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:44:09 PM by xusnordy45 »
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
We used the .17 hornet last season on fox and there was only a pin hole in and the fur hit the dirt fast. Can't wait til October 26th to start dropping a few more.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff