Author Topic: 17 Hornet  (Read 11432 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 17 Hornet
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
Ryan....I think you said alot when you said your gun liked one ammo over another.  One ammo may shoot fine in one gun and completely diffrent in another, even though its the same calibre, weight etc.  Thats why its so important to experiment with your gun.  Its sorta like patterning a shot gun for turkeys with diffrent ammo and shot loads.

Just my opinion...
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 01:29:43 AM »
Ryan....I think you said alot when you said your gun liked one ammo over another.  One ammo may shoot fine in one gun and completely diffrent in another, even though its the same calibre, weight etc.  Thats why its so important to experiment with your gun.  Its sorta like patterning a shot gun for turkeys with diffrent ammo and shot loads.

Just my opinion...
Absolutely, vibration frequency, metal density all sorts of variables, just saying I had a ton of problems with it along with a few close friends.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 10:24:40 PM »
Just curious how the 17 Hornets are holding up. I searched high and low a few months back to find one. I bought a Savage M25 Walking Varminter. I bought every box of ammo I could find while searching for the rifle. I stocked up 30 boxes. I wanted this rifle primarily for night fox hunting and set a 3-9X50 Nikon on it. Took it to the range and it shot under a dime at 100yds. Wicked accurate...BUT....if you investigate this rifle there are many many issues with some. Go figure mine was diseased. It would double feed, not extract, and the bolt would lock up after firing. It was basically a single shot. I did take it G'Hog hunting and nailed the first hog I aimed at (lasered 137yds) and another at 204 yds. I popped a few more well under 100 as well. I really LOVE the accuracy and performance of the round.....the rifle not so much. It has been at Savage for almost 4 weeks now. They are backed up on M25 17 Hornet repair.

On the other hand.....I know others with the 17 Hornet that have had no issues at all! I think once Savage gets the bugs out and puts better quality parts in the bolt (IE: Extractor) this will be a fine rifle! Can't wait to get mine back!
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 01:42:18 AM »
     I also have the Savage walking varmiter.  Everynow and then I get a feed issue.  I haven't had any extraction problems yet.  My feed problems are usually when I work the bolt to slow.  My best shot was at a ground hog pup at 220 yards.  It never moved.

I recently bought a CZ 17 hornet with the set trigger.  I put a Zeiss 3X9X40 on it.  I haven't made it to the range yet.  I hope to within the next few weeks though.  I'll let you know.

Like you, I stocked up on ammo before the shortage hit.  I have 2 cases.  Hopefully that will last me till things ease up a little.  Everynow and then I see a box or tow on the local sporting goods store shelf - Mom and Pop store.  I haven't looked much at the big retailers for it.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:43:05 AM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
I bought all but 8 boxes from Dicks. I travel a good bit in my line of work and there is a Dicks close to several of the areas I visit.
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »
I will not be switching from the Hornady Superformance ammo. It nice making 200 and 300 yard shots with little to no drop. I just took three more tonight at ranges of 90, 198 and 305 yards. Incredible! ;)
FayetteNam

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »
Were you holding dead on at 305yd? holding over or adjusting elevation clicks?

I had mine zeroed dead on at 100yd...my 204yd kill I held a hair above his head and hit dead center. With my zero at 300yd I would need to hold over some or adjust elevation at least 20 clicks...thank the stars for laser range finders!...lol

Man I want mine back.....hurry up Savage!
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
I'm sure the last shot was well over 300 but I'm gonna range it out myself today. The 200 yard shot I held it on and it might have dropped an inch or so. The furthest shot I help it at least 12 inches high and hit it low but a killing shot. I love this caliber.  ;D
FayetteNam

Offline xusnordy45

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 05:13:03 PM »
I like it also....just miss it right now though..

I'm not going to use it much over 200yd though....my intentions are for a dedicated night rifle so my shots will be closer.....thats why I chose the 100yd zero instead of 200yd.

Sure hope some other bullets come out for it......would love to see a XTP Hornady in 17 Hornet!

I would think I would be hearing from Savage any day now.....
Dan
Fairfield PA

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
man, I have the thumbhole M25 .223, had it since 2008, and I never had any issues with this gun other than never missing...I told a few people back in the day that the M25 is a sweet deal, and since then savage is my rifle of choice hands down...now everyone wants one, my buddy just picked up a walking varminter in 222, just because he doesn't have a 222, no issues...now, he reloads some ammo for me in 223 and 22H, and my M25 223 always shot 50-55 grainers touching at 100 with factory ammo, but with 35gr VMAX bullets, the little babies they are, 1 ragged hole with 5 rounds off bags...with that pill pushing 3850fps, not good for fox, but he's tested the round on chucks and says he held at the top of a chucks head at a lasered 450, and knocked him a$$ over teacups with a center chest entrance, no exit
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"