Author Topic: 17 Hornet  (Read 11430 times)

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
Re: 17 Hornet
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »
Dear Mr Jake,  100% right on the Leupolds.  Bought my 1st one w/ Part of my discharge pay in 1961.  100% wrong on Savage & Hornady designing the 17 Hornet.  All that they did was Read  P.O. Ackley's book.  He among others were playing w/ 17's in the early 50's.  He is the 1st to publish a design for that cartridge.  If you read his book read about the 20 Cals.  He gave the recommendations for the 204 Ruger a long time before Ruger and Hornady came up w/ that  Cal.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »
Dick,

Thanks for the education and info!  Just goes to show ya that you can't always trust everything you read on line!!!

Just curious....what (in a nut shell) was his advice on bullet gr on the 204 Ruger.  I just bought one and was going to go with the Hornady 40 gr.....good choice????

Jake
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »
Jake,  It doesn't look like he did anything w/20 cals.  From what I can find the  20 fans went for heavier (45 & 50 Gr. pills).  The development of 20's was by wildcatters and Bullet makers.  The 40 GR v-max is great as is the Hornady factory load.  My gang  has Encores, Savage and Rugers (#1 & 77).  All shoot both 32 & 40 Hornady FL's in little groups.  Just now getting enough brass to reload.  1st will be some 35 Bergers.  With FL 40's Ground hogs just collapse.  Fox come to pieces.  If you want to shoot fox I would  load a lot slower, under 3,000 if you can get the accuracy.  Dick     PS don't believe anything that you read on line.  INVESTIGATE for yourself

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »
Dick,
     I really appreciate the bullistic info.  For fox I use the Savage 17 Hornet with Hornady ammo.  I bought the 204 more for ground hogs and coyotes.  I 'm going to try the 40 gr hornandy.  A friend of mine has one and he swears by the 40 gr hornady.  All I need now is for a coyote to come into range !!
Jake
York, PA

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »
Deep breath,hold tight and squeeeezzze.  That 204 will do its part.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 12:15:16 AM »
These are two calibers I was looking at but I'm already having a hard time finding the 17 hornet ammo, so I think the 204 is my choice. The ruger !7 Hornet Predator is around $810.00 from my gun guy (FYI). My guy is the only place I found the 17 ammo and now he's having a hard time getting my Superformance 22-250. Everything is on back order. >:(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:15:43 AM by predator77 »
FayetteNam

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »
Anybody consider a Swift?

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »
Couldn't stand it anymore. I broke down and bought the Savage wood stock 17 Hornet today. I'm getting a lower end Leopold scope put on it. I actually found someone who had the ammo in stock and it's going quick. Hopefully there will be harvest pics to go with the update... :D
FayetteNam

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »
+2 on the VX ll

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »
Ian, congrats on the new purchase. Please let me know how you like it as I've been  considering a 17 hornet as well and probably would also go with the savage... Rick
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »
Ian,

You'll find that 17 hornet to be a tack driver.  I have they Savage Walking Predator Model.  I love it.  I use it for fox and ground hogs mostly.  EVERYTING I hit (irregardless of the shot placement) never went a single step.  It dropped the animal in its tracks.

Check out the bullistics on the ammo.  it's a good gun for out to 200-250 yards.  I shot a red fox last year at roughly 165 yards.

Keep us posted on how you like it and how it shots!!  I'm sure you'll love your's as well as I love mine.  I've read where some people also use it for coyotes.....I'm tempted to try it some day, but for now I'll stick to the 204 Ruger and my 22-250.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:46 PM »
Having shot a few foxes with the Hornet myself and watching Misterjake also shoot a bunch of animals with it I do believe it will be the next rifle I buy. Shots have ranged from 15 yds to 220 yds and with the Hornady VMax it's one hole and a dead critter. Happy shooting!!!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
Thanks guys! I already love it based on appearance and shooting the range briefly. I needed this gun. I'm not a fur seller but I do give fur away to other people. My reason for this caliber was to replace my 22 mag. I love that gun but it's been letting me down for the last couple seasons and last year I left the woods after getting a great coyote response and not wanting to shoot it with the 22 mag, I left the woods and came back with  my 22-250 and found fresh scat 30 yards from where I had originally called from. My point it, I feel better taking a shot at a coyote with this gun and I've heard it's very fur friendly. The only con I can think of is finding ammo since Hornady is the only makers, so far. I will buy the riflesmiths last box when he gets back from vacation and then I feel I'll have enough for a bit with the ground hogs, coons, fox, coyote and anything else in the 2013-14 seasons.  ;D
FayetteNam

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
That's a nice pick up Ian, im glad your happy. Savage makes a quality firearm, i really think that will be my next putchase...Rick
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
These are two calibers I was looking at but I'm already having a hard time finding the 17 hornet ammo, so I think the 204 is my choice. The ruger !7 Hornet Predator is around $810.00 from my gun guy (FYI). My guy is the only place I found the 17 ammo and now he's having a hard time getting my Superformance 22-250. Everything is on back order. >:(

Just in response to your .22-.250 comment, I didn't have any luck at all with the superformance stuff. Before I went out west I tried 3 or 4 different weights with no result out of my tikka t3 lite. I ended up with Winchester silver tip and my gun loved it. Doesn't cost as much either which is always a plus.

Ryan.
District 4