Author Topic: 17 hmr experiences  (Read 5237 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
17 hmr experiences
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »
I've been using the 17 hmr for fox the last couple of years.I made the comment before that I was going to a bigger caliber but nothing else meets my requirements of a accurate caliber with a LOW report.When hunting around populated areas a gun blast from a high powered rifle or shotgun is bound to raise some attention from the neighbors.I have experienced unwanted quests and spotlights shown in my direction when a shot was fired from anything other than a rimfire.I know many of you frown upon the use of the 17 hmr as a less than adequate caliber and I will agree that it is on the light side but any reasonable shot out to 100 yards will kill a fox.On occasion a 20 yard death run can be expected and you can almost count on the fox laying at exactly 20 yards.That is a problem at times depending on terrain.
 The 17 grain ballistic tips are very explosive but tend not to penetrate bone as well as the 20 grain gamepoints.I have seen ballistic tips explode and not penetrate.
 I'm still riding the fence on getting a larger caliber but often wished there was another caliber  that fit between the small rimfires and the larger centerfires.The 5mm was close but is no longer in production.Glad to see they are making ammo for the 5mm again.Any thoughts will be appreciated.

uncle buck

Re: 17 hmr experiences
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
Did you ever consider using the 22 Hornet?  17 HMR just stay away from the V-Max that's for sure...Also fur buyers do not frown on head shots.. So your probably going to have to shoot for the head.  NEF single shot 22 Hornets are nice.. They cost about what an Encore 22 Hornet barrel would cost you..New $248 bucks. I get the Gun Test magazine and the NEF Single Shot got the score of A while some of the more expensive single shots go C's.

22 Hornet is nice to hunt chucks with.  I like to use it when the hay has not been cut yet.. I watch for areas just along growth for a chuck to sit out.. Shots are near point blank out to near 200 yards..

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:23:27 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »
I like the hornet.Probably the least amount of report of any center fires but not as flat shooting as the 17.I'm just stuck on the low report .

Offline 22hornet

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »
GO HORNET

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »
The 17 HMR...for SOME of the people who liked them...They almost want to meet you in a designated place and fight you if you disagree with them...However that be the personalities and not the ownership of the 17 hmr that does that..

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Yes, the 17hmr is a bit lite. I live in Allegheny county and it's either a rimfire or a shothun. I have killed my last 5 fox's with my 17hmr. I have also killed dozens of ground hogs, coons, possums and other varments with it as well. You just have to place your shots. It is my favorite gun to dispach nusiance wildlife I have trapped.
President PPHA

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
savage is releasing 3 new guns this year in the hornet.  they all have detachable mags.  they look like nice guns. 

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
Ya I like clips or single shots for night time hunting. More so then box magazines..That would be nice if it's a clip fed 22 Hornet...

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »
Its nice to see savage making a clip fed hornet.The single shot they offered in the past was a good shooter but I didn't like the idea of no second shot for those doubles that show up.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:45 PM »
UB

The 17 HMR...for SOME of the people who liked them...They almost want to meet you in a designated place and fight you if you disagree with them

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline yote204

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
i have shot 2 fox and a coyote wiht my 17hmr, the 17 grain v-max suck for fox and yotes, you have to use the hornady 20 gr xtp hollow points, head and neck shots are good, but if you could hit the front shoulder you should be good, i rolled a fox with the 17 grain v-max and never found it, so if your gunna use the 17hmr use the 20grain xtp's and make good shot placement, and its not loud so u wont wake your neighbors

Offline StrykerFeniX

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
So a 17 hmr would be ok to hunt yotes with or would you guys recommend something more like a 223?

Thanks for any advice
George Flaherty
District 2

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
The 17hmr is by no means big enough for coyotes.Go with a larger caliber.

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 01:50:03 AM »
So much can happen when your hunting with a 17 HMR.. Fox just turns a bit and now you just wounded a fox that will go down a hole.. The 17 HMR....I understand they are the perfect squirrel gun. At least get yourself a 22 Hornet for fox..  Coyotes...at least a 223.