Author Topic: Trailcams  (Read 2342 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Trailcams
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
What is a good won't break the bank trailcam....Got a Kinseys catalog w/Primos Truth Cam 46 $119.99... Bass pro has a Moultrie d50 Game spy for 79.97 or a Wildgame ir4 for same price...all kinds of prices all the way up to around $600.00...I would like to snoop a bit but not going to pay 5 or 600 for one...

uncle buck

Re: Trailcams
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
I don't have the answer to your question Jaspr1... However I posted this on here before... Saw an article in one of the Predator magazines... Author stressed to use the trail cams to monitor when predators are visiting or feeding at the trail cam site... Then you get close to the area prior to the feeding time and call or ambush them.  This just makes sense as a good tool...Remember like I always say...They are mammals we are mammals. Both of us are creatures of habit... Don't venture deep near the site and remember the call is a tool.  They will come to you.. It's predator calling not you going after the predator hunting..

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »
I tried the bushnell trophy cam 5.0 megapixel trail cam and really like them. As a matter of fact, I just purchased 2 more from cabelas which had them on sale for 137.99. I have 5 of  these cameras now and they work very well. I have tried a number of others but like these the best. Don't confuse these with the bushnell trophy cam bone collector...the bone collector series are not as good from what I hear but I didn't try them. I also like the 3.0 cuddeback but you will spend a lot more on batteries for them. My one trophy cam shows full battery life and I put the batteries in late last summer and have run it constantly through the cold of winter. I tried a couple cheap cameras that sold for under 100. and ended up reselling them for 25.00. They were junk. I will put my cameras out again middle of may and try to get a pattern on a mature buck.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 03:40:45 PM »
coyotenightmare thanks for info, when you read reviews on most of these, one guy says junk and the others say its great. I was interested in someone who had a positive result and battery life was also one of the things they stressed. UB want this for stuff other than hunting...I think I found a fox den and would like to put cam on that,see if I can catch any pups out...also coyote den where I saw pup,they should be coming out shortly..unless mom coyote moves them..

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:19:33 PM »
i have tried a couple of different ones in the past two years and the only one that held up has been the bushnell trophy cam, all that i tried were under 200 dollars though.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:40 AM »
coyotenightmare gave sound advice.
jaspr, for occasional use, go with lower/mid-price range. Bushnell will be fine. But purchase more than one, they are adictive.
Used trail timers (since they appeared on the market years back) but switched to trail cams back then. Over the years, trail cams helped me monitor furbearer movement.
Last season I saw (on trail cam) 4 Coyotes using a certain trail, near the same time each evening. I managed to kill 2 Coyotes on that trail by still hunting in that time frame. This spot was the exception, but trail cams are a great tool to scout, watch dens, watch bird feeder in backyard, watch bait piles and such. Many uses.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
I just got a flyer from Cabelas for Bushnell trail cam for 137.99....I have to go to Cabelas to return a pair of wading boots I bought in Feb. so I think I will try to pick one up then...This is off subject but those boots are felt soles and I think Pa. is probably going to follow Md. and ban felt because of rock snot.