Author Topic: SNOW AND MORE SNOW  (Read 3515 times)

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
SNOW AND MORE SNOW
« on: February 06, 2010, 06:56:34 AM »
Weeeeeo  Iwas just out 24 in and still coming down hard. 4 to 5 ft. drifts at the bottom of my drive way. There is a big grader out there now having trouble.  I will not be going any where for awhile. I live close to a ski sloop so this is nothing new. Just a tad bit more than usual.  Keep us posted on your weather and hunting if you go. I have a 4 wheel drive kubota I tried it at 6:00 Iwill wait till daylight, cant see far enough to tell were the drifts are.
Have a good day
Mountain dog

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: SNOW AND MORE SNOW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:03:27 AM »
Just watched the grader bury my mail box. This going to be a long day of plowing and shoveling.
 Have a good day
mountain dog

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:05:13 AM »
where do you live mtn? we only got 2 to 3 inches here in luzerne co, i cleaned up at my wifes store and the house im headin out to do some small game huntin / scoutin new coyote huntin spots, mostly the scoutin part
district #1

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »
Just came in to eat a sandwich. Not done plowing yet . We had 26 in. here in this part of Bedford co.  I dont live to far from blue knob ski sloop. We had some pretty good blowing last night. Made some good drifts. Its going to make some tough coyote hunting.
Mountain dog

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
24" in Lawrence county,
I don't think I'll be going out unless something changes

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:19:12 PM »
Started at 8 am...took a short break for lunch...went back out...finally done.
I did my driveway...my handicapped neighbors driveway (which is over 1/3 mile) and then as I was finishing that up I saw my 74 year old neighbor attempting his with a litle 14 inch push snowblower...so I ended up doing his as well....got a few pics of the dog n my 2 1/2 year old son playing in it....we had about 26-28 inches.

The dog...yeah I had to clear a spot for him to drop trail  ;D

My sons first REAL snow...he loved it...he tried digging a tunnel...didnt work out quite the way he imagined...lol

The yard in all its splendor
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »
I got about 15 inches of the real heavy and wet stuff. (about knee high in the driveway though) 11 pm last night we lost power. Power co said it would be DAYS before power is restored. The trees in my yard, witch are taller than the 2 story house,have the tops on the ground. After get'n the driveway plowed with the quad, I then proceeded to shut off the water to the upstairs,drain the pipes and let the rest of the downstairs drip. ABANDION SHIP !!!!!Was down to 52 degrees in the house when we went to are daughters house for the night.

WOW, just got a call that the power is back on. (I'm on her puter) Head'n home  !!!!!!! ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:11:27 PM »
You should have just wrap up in the long hair
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:34:21 PM »
Wasn't the problem.... something to eat or drink that was warm/hot would have made it barable. A hot meal and some heat was the order of the day. It's now 11 and drop'n outside but the heat is on inside.

Note~ I feel very forunate compered to other people. On the ride to and from my daughters place, the damage and devastation that this storm caused was one to remember. Even wally world was closed !!!! :o
Whatado !!!!
District 6

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »
longhair
The plow trucks just went by my house at 10;45 pm and I now have two lanes on the main road. I can not remember the last time it has taken this long for a plow truck. Some big drifts they had to cut through that is for sure.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »
Just a call from my oldest daughter who's a first responder/fireperson that me and the wife should have a plan"B" ready. With all the snow and ice that's on the trees and powerlines, we COULD lose power again. Whole towns that got power back lost it again from trees continuing to fall.

It's really something to just be outside when it's quiet(no road noise). You can hear the "crack'n" of the trees all over the place. Kinda freaky !!! :o

On top of that, they are call'n for more snow tuesday night into wedensday.I'd be will'n to bet that with the extra weight of a couple more inches of snow, just about everybody in this area is screwed. Fingers crossed and hope'n for the best.
Whatado !!!!
District 6

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »
Last time I heard a tree snap was when we had a PPHA event on top of Red Rock Mountain....Ricketts Glen State Park...Funny you'd hear the call blazing into the night...The dying rabbit and then that snap of the branch come crashing down.... So cold that we could not even open the GMC Jimmy with the keyless entry device.. I had to revert to the old stand by the key.

Then previous years see all the snapped trees limbs traveling up Interstate 81 toward Wilkes-Barre.

Wife just said that Monday the wind chill is going to be 3 degrees here in SCPA.

Longhair thanks for the info on the tree snapping...One has to watch if we venture out into the outdoors tomarrow to call after and prior to a new incoming snow storm that we best stay away from the timber...Something that snap happens so fast that one would have a hard time to move to safer ground!!!!!!