Author Topic: Ivory Soap used on trot lines in the South  (Read 3686 times)

uncle buck

Ivory Soap used on trot lines in the South
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:56:52 PM »
Down South....fisherperson use Ivory Soap as bait for trot lines.  Target fish is catfish...large catfish...I suppose it milks and that is what draws them to this unique bait...Um we can't use trot line here in Pa.. Often wonder if a Bleach jug with a line and hook baited with Ivory Soap in Pa water would be productive?

Some say....that WD40 made from fish oil is an excellent bait in the South...I did some in Missouri two years ago. Sprayed hotdog and tied them to a treble hook...Had one good hit but did not set the hook...Wish I would have been standing by the pole when the pole near took off for the other side of the lake...

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: Ivory Soap used on trot lines in the South
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »
UB...I think the bleach jug with a line tied to it is still under the catagory of trot lining/jug fishing...

Soap will work for cats, but from my understanding it works better with soap that is made from lard...not the special scented stuff you see on the top shelves...I think they still sell this soap on the bottom shelves if you look hard enough...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"