Author Topic: something i never concidered while shooting. duhh  (Read 2116 times)

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
something i never concidered while shooting. duhh
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
This could explain some of my misses... As I sit here holding my new gun on the couch, looking through the scope I noticed while holding the crosshairs on an object, if I don't look directly centered down the scope the crosshairs look to be off and just by moving my head a little bit the crosshairs will move, but I'm still not moving the gun. So I guess if a person doesn't look perfectly through the scope, every shot could be a little off from the previous. And there's always them awkward shots we have to make when the predator sneaks behind you or off to the side where you can't hold the gun perfect, I had always just assumed if the crosshairs were on it, it was dead. But I was wrong I'm finding out.

Does anyone get what I'm saying or do I just sound like a drunk guy trying to shoot a gun?! Lol
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: something i never concidered while shooting. duhh
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
I understand what you're talking about.  That is why it is very important to adjust the scope to your natural line of sight.  Don't just take the gun and scope to a dealer have them install it and think that is it.

I found some awesome youtube videos on doing this.  I'll try to find them.

Edit:  here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:41:04 PM by scottm2012 »
Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »
Great video thanks! My new gun came with a scope on but ill be sure to do those steps to make it fit me.
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »
What your seeing is the paralax. Set your gun up in bags and look at a 100 yd target. Your crosshairs shouldnt move. This is why the higher end scopes have an adjustable objective.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”