Author Topic: How to pattern a shotgun  (Read 2489 times)

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
How to pattern a shotgun
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »
I could look it up online, but I prefer getting first hand responses.  I just changed my choke in my Mossberg 500/tru glow red dot w/full choke to a true glow turkey stopper choke.  Previously it was shooting quite well at up to 40 yards with 2 3/4 #4 Buckshot, but after switching chokes it is shooting terrible.  My question is there an easier way to pattern the new choke with red dot without burning through a $10 (5 shell)box?  I could figure this out on my own, I just appreciate learning new techniques to do it that could save time and money.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: How to pattern a shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »
Different ammo will shoot different through different choke tubes. Just have to find the right combo.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
Ya gotta try different shells till you find the one the gun likes,another thing you can do is to have the forcing cone lengthened this will result in tighter patterns yet,another thing I would recommend is a Caldwell lead sled it will save your shoulder..
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another!

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
I like doing it free hand.  Helps to sight a gun is as you would use it.  If you shoot free hand sitting then sight it in this way.  Try it with your deer rifle also.  Its the best way to become completely proficient.  I honestly don't even feel it on my shoulder. 

I guess I'll pick up a couple different shells next week. I'm kinda hating the red dot.

U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »
I agree with predator100x on shooting in a gun with a rock steady rest. That way it's 100% dead on, no questions. Then practice, practice, practice from any and all shooting positions you may hunt from. Just MHO. Good luck getting it dialed.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:27:18 PM »
I just put on a tactical forearm and the dang thing kept coming off every second shot.  I think I finally fixed the issue with a little sand paper and elbow grease.  So tomorrow I'll be out trying again.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1